Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2014

Kencigler is on a distinguished road
Type 4 tied to stern pulpit

I noticed yesterday, that the Type 4 horseshoe PFD is tied to the stern pulpit.
I can see that the advantage might be that if thrown quickly, the boat could be stopped and the MOB hauled in. However, if not thrown quickly (or close enough) as the boat moves away, so does the PFD.

Is there a "right" way? Other thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

'28' O'day ('84)
Fantasy
Hull # 548
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Type 4 tied to stern pulpit

Ken,

You'll receive many answers. Some tie a line to their type IVs in order to be able to re-try should they miss, others do not. I have heard the argument that the line runs the risk of getting caught in the prop. Throwing it out as soon as you notice the person missing is a way of marking an MOB should you not have that option on a chartplotter or GPS.

We carry a ring and several "seat cushion" types as well as the horseshoe. Besides providing additional targets for the person to hopefully grab, some will throw out what they have to create floating debris that hopefully alerts other boats that something is wrong and because you've also used the radio to issue a securite, they can either look out for the person or at least be aware to slow down and try not to run over him or her. It also creates an additional way of determining the direction of the current should you or the rescuers lose site of the person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-04-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I am not sure I understand your question. Are you concerned because it is tied on, or because it is on the stern? Generally they are in a sort of bracket that holds them. You might have them loosely tied to the bracket/stern rail, just so you don't loose them, but must be easily deployed to be effective at helping in an MOB situation. As long as they are tied down in a easy to remove way, or even better perhaps with Velcro straps you should be OK. Now if they are tied on with old stiff lines that will take a marlin spike to untie then it is a real problem. Normally tied down just so they don't blow away and perhaps so they don't wonder off at the dock but still easily deployed. One of the things I like most about the Life Sling is the case they come in as they are secure yet very easy to deploy in a hurry.
Old 10-04-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

"Right way?"
Hmmm.....
As far as I know; and I'm by no means an 'expert'; but.....
Toss the horseshoe (edit* or any other floating object that's to-hand. I don't recall any boater being chastised or fined for rescuing using an un-=approved device ) to the MOB immediately It may take some time and distance to stop and return. Tossing the type 4 gives tthe MOB the chance to have some sort of support/bouyancy until you return to rescue or recover and also gives the helma marker to turn to.
Once up-wind and hove-to. throw the lifesling or whatever floating line ya have. Using a 'sling first might cause yo to drag tthe line and foul it, as well as pull the floatation away from the MOB.

HTH, and I stand-by to be corrected if necessary

added* Mine'ss held in the bracketmount with a bungee. The original buckle arrangement was UV damaged and stuck until I ripped it off/out . The bungee is easily removed, if needs must..

Last edited by deltaten; 10-04-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2014

capt jgwinks is on a distinguished road

US Coast Guard regulations for COMMERCIAL vessels require a Type IV with a 100 foot floating line attached to the boat. No such requirement for private vessels.
Having your ONLY Type IV tied to the boat, especially a sailboat, is a really bad idea. You can't stop the
boat fast enough to avoid towing the PFD away from your PIW, or towing him/her under should they manage to catch it.
On my commercial boats, we carry 3 Type IV's, only one has a line on it. The Lifesling is great for making the recovery, and it's an approved Type IV.
If you have a tethered Type IV, throw a cushion or something else that floats, then use the tether to reel the person when you've returned to them. This should be practiced often, we do drills monthly

Tags
tied to stern pulpit , type 4

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.