Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006

Sialia is on a distinguished road
Anchroing with a CQR

I am interested in hearing opinions about anchors and anchoring experience. I have had mixed results with my 60lb. CQR anchor. The rode is 1/2" chain. Even when anchoring in what appears to be good to very good conditions, sand with no grass, I have had mixed results. The basic problem I have faced is trouble setting the anchor. I have tried many methods: paying out the rode slowly and letting the wind push the boat for an hour or more before backing down; backing down slowly for up to 10 minutes before backing down hard; backing down hard right away; etc. After setting this anchor hundreds of times, I still don't have a technique that works consistently.

When the anchor is set, it holds well. I don't go to sleep without diving on the anchor, when possible, however. This implies that I don't really trust it.

I have had great success with the fortress. The rode is 40 feet of 3/8" chain and 3/4" three-strand nylon. Unfortunately, this set-up doesn't fit on the windlass and I am forced to pull it up by hand. Pushing the windlass button is a lot easier.

I would appreciate opinions about the process and about different anchors. For example, many friends recommend the Delta Fastset above all else.

What do you think?

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What size is this boat? 1/2" chain is overkill unless the boat is huge...which I doubt.

Part of the problem may be the rode on your 60 lb. CQR. What is probably happening is that the rode is too heavy for you to ever really move, so the anchor never really sets. It just sits on the bottom, attached to all that heavy chain and then when the chain finally does move, the CQR doesn't have time to set properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2006

I agree that 1/2" chain is pretty big but it's not exceptional for the boat size and weight. She's a 51 foot boat with displacement of 39 thousand pounds.

In the future, next boat, I plan to down-size to 3/8" chain. But with what anchor?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
51' and 20 tons is a pretty big boat. Is it high-test chain (G4), BBB or proof coil?

I personally use a 33 lb. Rocna with 30' of 5/16" G4 chain and 150' of 5/8" nylon as my primary anchor, but my boat is considerably smaller. It might be worth looking at the Rocna or another next generation anchor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-15-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
Why go to a smaller anchor?

Understand that you have some questions/issues with the CQR, but why on earth would anyone ever downsize the anchor "IF" they can handle it? Now I assume other anchors for kedge/lunch-hooks etc. but why smaller for 'best-bower'? The 60lb seems right for your lenght/displ. We are LWL 35 / 12Tons and have a 45 lb CQR (3/8" chain) and 40lb danforth that live on the foredeck and I would not mind a 60lb CQR in place of our 45lb for 'best bower'. We use a workhorse of a Lunenburg anchor windlass so weight is not the issue when it comes to raising anchor. We would have to be a little creative with block-tackle, handy billy to horse an extra big anchor around. If you can set a mooring every time you put your anchor down that's a great thing. Every time you anchor it's a storm anchor, Not bad!

I don't mean to say that a smaller anchor would be bad or inappropriate but if you are/can manage the bigger one and it is working ( as far as the handling ) then why change the weight.

I realize that none this so far addresses your question about the flakey behavior of your CQR. We have 3 CQR's (22, 35, 45) and one 45lb plow imitation by danforth which I don't trust. It (danforth 45lb plow) has always acted lke you describe but the rest of the TRUE CQR plows have been well behaved.

Interesting Anchor link:
HMS Victory: 7 anchors
http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php...d=73&Itemid=28
Old 06-16-2006
Telstar 28

sailandoar-

I'm not suggesting that he go to a smaller anchor. I am suggesting that he might want to go to a DIFFERENT anchor.

BTW, is the the anchor a genuine CQR or an imitation CQR? I've seen quite a few problems with the imitation CQR's not setting properly.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-16-2006

quickvic is on a distinguished road
ditch the plow and go to Fastset.
Old 06-16-2006
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Check out the February Practical-Sailor, they did a pretty thorough study on anchors in soft mud applications and rated each (two part study carried over to March I believe). If memory serves they rated bruce and claw as top two in under $200 price range.
Old 06-16-2006

Thanks for all the input.

Yes, the anchor is a genuine CQR.

I am wondering if we could take an informal poll about the different anchors used by SailNet members and their opinions.

As I said, my favorite anchor, holds best in a wide variety of bottom conditions and sets fastest, is the fortress. Anchor rode for this is 40 feet of 3/8" chaing with 3/4" 3-strand nylon. The problem, as I mentioned, is that I end up pulling it up by hand.
Old 06-16-2006

Stonecutter36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36
The anchor is just that an anchor 1“a point that doesn’t move ,Too secure with, too fasten or attach. OK so much for the dictionary” Your anchor and rode is your insurance policy. How much you wish to invest in it is up to you. If it too heavy then a windlass is necessary “Don’t down size just to be able to pick it up that like being under insured. I don’t have a lunch hook because I usually stay for dinner. I have aboard a 45 CQR and a 45 fortress on 3/8, chain 600 ft in total and 5/8 nylon another 150 ft per anchor . The chain is for weight not strength it holds the anchor shank down to allow it to bite into the bottom and provides a cantilevering action*. As the boat is pushed or pulled against the rode it picks up the rode off the bottom and the weight of the rode pulls back in proportion to the force used against it. This action is usually soft and almost elastic in action as it tries to maintain a balance. When the force applied to the boat exceeds the weight of the rode the only thing left is the holding action of the anchor. A CQR or plow type is designed to dive deeper as it is pulled or until the pulling action diminishes and the weight of the rode takes over. The nylon is on line incase I need to pull my self off a grounding it seldom comes out of the locker I use a ˝” nylon snubbing line to attach the rode to a deck cleat. Everyone has their formula for selecting the size of anchor Don’t forget the chain .I usually up size to the next largest as a precaution (piece of mind)

*The chain supported at one end and carrying a load at the other end or distributed along the unsupported portion. The chain is subjected to tensile stress, trying to elongate the links,