Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2014

thevdeub is on a distinguished road
CA-HI Passage and High Swell at sea

Hey folks,
We are planning to start the passage from SoCal to HI next week. From the common literature, November is one of the best month to attempt a passage from CA to HI because this is the end of the Hurricane season and not yet just winter.
However, this year, a couple of systems are still/already pounding in the north and create High Swell advisory (10 to 20m) accross the full Pacific.
I do not see that as an issue as usually the swell period do not create break waves, but I have limited experience on offshore passages.
What do you guys think ? Is it really a no-go sign ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2014
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: CA-HI Passage and High Swell at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevdeub View Post
Hey folks,
We are planning to start the passage from SoCal to HI next week. From the common literature, November is one of the best month to attempt a passage from CA to HI because this is the end of the Hurricane season and not yet just winter.
However, this year, a couple of systems are still/already pounding in the north and create High Swell advisory (10 to 20m) accross the full Pacific.
I do not see that as an issue as usually the swell period do not create break waves, but I have limited experience on offshore passages.
What do you guys think ? Is it really a no-go sign ?
My experience/observations is in Northern California & Oregon coastal waters. IIRC, anytime from about the middle of October you can see big seas all winter into about the first to middle of May. Big seas can come at any time of the year, but "winter" months seem to be the worst, to me, anyway.

Hopefully, someone who has done it will reply.

Paul T
Old 11-07-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I looked at PassageWeather and did not see anything like 10 to 20 m waves. The maximum seemed to 5 to 6 m on Friday and that was in the worst spot north of Hawaii. Waves looked to be pretty much abeam. Should be OK as long as the winds are strong enough to keep you heeling. Would be unpleasant in really light airs, which brings me to - looking at those weather maps the thing that seemed most problematic is the large high pressure area to the SW of Southern California. You might want to stay to the south of the rhumb line to keep away from the depressions further north, but there does not look to be much wind at all. How is your boat in light stuff?

The second depression that appears from NW on Friday is quite nasty but if PW is correct, it fills in a lot in only 12 hours. Before you leave you might want to see what the forecast is saying about that one. If the forecast is accurate it looks to be staying pretty far north so you would only get some of the waves and any boat doing a trip like this should be fine in waves like that.
christian.hess likes this.
Heading back to Lake Ontario for this summer. Relatively few stops along the way from Grenada. Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin (must have something to do with the French food), then Bermuda, New England and up the Hudson/Erie Canal. We were going to go via Newfoundland and Labrador but June remembered that one of the kids is getting married this summer - details, details!
The Following User Says Thank You to killarney_sailor For This Useful Post:
stef9sailnet (11-08-2014)
Old 11-07-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I would agree with Paul that the crappy stuff is off northern California and northward and you are starting in southern California and going even further south.
Heading back to Lake Ontario for this summer. Relatively few stops along the way from Grenada. Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin (must have something to do with the French food), then Bermuda, New England and up the Hudson/Erie Canal. We were going to go via Newfoundland and Labrador but June remembered that one of the kids is getting married this summer - details, details!
Old 11-07-2014

That was my understanding. Boat is a Tartan 37.
Old 11-08-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I have never done a passage like that, but, if there was a 20m swell I would be cr@pping my pants 24/7.
Old 11-08-2014

cheoah is on a distinguished road
CA-HI Passage and High Swell at sea

What does ol' jimmy say about it in Cruising Routes? East coaster here, nothing much to add except make sure you get some searoom, and have your strategies thought through for when you encounter weather like you are seeing now. Practice reefing early on, or whatever your tactics are, keep a tight ship, and you'll be ready. Besides jimmy Cornell's book, check out the pilot charts for your passage. The averages are a good place to start, but I'd also be looking at some long term forecasts and expect a good chance for major trends to continue. Heavy swell at sea is not necessarily a problem, just depends on the wave's characteristics.

Do you have a weather routing service out there? I don't know if Chris Parker works outside the Atlantic but he could likely refer you to someone who works the region. It's worth getting some expert advice from someone that can also advise you while on passage. Do you have an HF radio and have you had a chance to make contact with any local nets?

Very exciting. Safe passage-

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
Old 11-09-2014

In the cruising routes, November is one of the best month. With a couple in Spring.
Yes, we do have a Sat Phone and I am setting up the HF WeFax.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-09-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Here is the passageweather link for that part of the pacific Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather shows waves of two to four meter height on Friday the 14 and improving from then and winds from ten to fifteen knots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2014

stef9sailnet is on a distinguished road

Not having done the passage but looking closely at the charts here is what I am seeing (for a 8 day forecast ending 11/17):

- the high this coming week is moving to 32N 125W and seems to remain positioned there.
Q: Will it move back West? Not sure as when I look at the pilot chats for December it seems to be it's normal position.

- the route would need to be substantially off the rhumb line and go south first for a stretch at 26N 124W before going west.
Q: Is this the most most effective route?

- by going south and having a high in 32N 125W means little wind with an average of 7-8 knots. The pilot chart for both november and december shows 17-21 knots wind from E, NE with 30 to 53% of the time.
Q: Could this be significantly different this year on a 3 weeks passage with El Nino and record TS energy in the Pacific?

- on the route going towards HI, I see up to a .3-.4% of probability of whitecaps and seas reaching 3.7m or 13 feet generated from the storm in the pacific north which starts coming down south. The winds remain low, around 6knots
Q: Does this present a risk? Could this get significantly worst?

- I am using the NOAA/GFS model for weather and FNMOC-WW3-GLOBAL for the waves (using zyGrib)
Q: Is there a better model to use?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.