Problem picking up Lobster pots with rudder - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 67 Old 09-13-2006
Jeff at SmartCaptain.com

How to clear a lobster pot once you've snagged it:

1. Take a 25' length of line, about 1/2" in diameter and tie a dive weight (about 6 to 8 lbs) in the middle.

2. Two crew walk up to the bow, one holding each end of the line. Weight is lowered over the bow. Crew members walk aft, holding on to their ends of the line.

3. Line and weight are retrieved at the stern of the boat. With a little luck, you'll bring up both ends of the lobster pot line.

4. Cut the lobster pot line and, if you're feeling charitable, retie them and toss them back overboard.

This technique has worked for me.

Jeff

www.smartcaptain.com
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 Old 09-14-2006

Have you ever seen a crabber/lobster boat fouled on a crab/lobster pot?
post #23 of 67 Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

I've found, pulling the line back towards the stern does little to free it. As for re-tieing the line...it depends... if the lobster pot was properly marked and not in a shipping channel, I'll usually try to repair it.

However, if the pot isn't properly marked or if the pot was in a shipping channel, I generally don't bother. If they don't follow the legal requirements for marking a pot or if they can't have the courtesy to lay their pots outside of the marked shipping channels—they don't need my help keeping their pots in the water.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #24 of 67 Old 09-15-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If they don't follow the legal requirements for marking a pot or if they can't have the courtesy to lay their pots outside of the marked shipping channels—they don't need my help keeping their pots in the water.

DOG! You, of course, confiscate their catch, eh?
post #25 of 67 Old 09-15-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack
DOG! You, of course, confiscate their catch, eh?
Of course not, I believe that would be a felony...and it is a royal pain to haul up a lobster pot when you're still moving at four knots...they're heavy, and the lobsters, at least here in New England, aren't all that expensive for me to buy.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

post #26 of 67 Old 09-16-2006

Question

OK . . .
Crab pots down here (NC) are pretty small.

Ya-know, for as many as there are just outside of the channel to my marina - I never see anyone working them.

Anyone know if these fisherman can simply leave them there indefinitly?? Do you think my Fish & Wildlife guys be able to talk to that or the USCG? Seems that even though they're not in a channel they could still be considerd a hazard to navigation based on a some sort of time scale.
post #27 of 67 Old 09-17-2006

Yes.... stainless must be kept oxygenated or it gives up quickly. If oxygen is not present in enough concentration, the stainless reacts with the chlorine in the seawater and the reaction is rapid, and destructive. Any marine growth will cut off the oxygen supply.

It's one reason why you don't see through-hulls made of stainless. Topsides it's fine, but not under da water.
post #28 of 67 Old 09-21-2006
Telstar 28

I think Rockter is a bit confused...

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

post #29 of 67 Old 09-22-2006

Read as if after posting 11 of this thread.

It's true.... don't use stainless under the water. It must have oxygen. It must! Try it yourself. Get a wee bit of stainless, immerse it in a wee bottle of seawater, and put a cork in the top of the bottle. Leave it on the shelf for a month or two.

Better still, but far more expensive..... fill your freshwater stainless tank with seawater and then block the tank breather.

I've got a long keeler.... they don't get caught by lobster pots.
post #30 of 67 Old 09-22-2006
Telstar 28

Ahh.. that makes more sense now... I agree stainless steel is not so good under water. Marine Bronze is the way to go for underwater metal... but you could probably also work with fiberglass as well. If cost was no object, Titanium would be a good choice, but it is hard to work with normal boatyard tools.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.