Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2002

valhalla2005 is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

Hi Big red!
Ther are several studies of shark-behaviorism published explaining the basic anathomy of sharks, their senses and how this interacts with our precense in the sea. I''d like to recommend Sharkattacs authored by Xavier.
As for your net, if it makes you feel safe, I guess it works:-)
Where''s down?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

Hey Big Red:
I have a shark story for you and its no bull!
Back in the early 70''s I managed a project for Lockheed Ocean Systems in which we took a
barge,HMS 1 out to the Ismus at Catalina Island,sunk it to 120'' on a sandy bottom to test some parts to be usrd later in Project Jennifer.The barge was open at one end and we
left it down for 24 hours.A diving team with
myself included went down to check it out before we popped it to the surface.Boy! did we see something to blow your mind.The entire bottom of the barge all 190''x56'' was covered with sharks of every size and description all resting and fluttering their
tails to keep water flowing past their gills.
I was the only one allowed to have a camera on the project and I took a roll of color film in the Bolex that after it was enhanced
would scare the you know what out of you!!
Old 01-15-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

Ahoy gentlemen, first dancy8888 you my friend deserve at least the rank of deck hand in big reds pirate fleet. Thats what we pirates do when faced with adversity, we laugh and take pictures cause no one would believe us. However keep in mind associating with scurvy knaves can be addictive. For vahalla , down is SW Florida so babye its up or port or starboard form you. I''s don''t read to much whit me one good eye but I''s hears just good, keep bailing that boat even if you are on the bottom, shows determination. Truth be told I''d just as soon get eatt by a shark than hit by a drunk on the highway . Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island
Old 01-16-2002

SHARKS

Big Red!
Very true about the cars.
Heard someplace it''s 8000 times more likely to get killed by lightning then by sharks.
However, after spending three years in The Bahamas and eastern Fl, it doesn''t mean that much to me...
Anyone knows about any device that can emitt
negative particles for active lightning protection?
Old 01-16-2002

SHARKS

Ahoy , yeah sharks
Old 01-29-2002

sanuni is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

Statistically most shark attacks occur in shallow water b/c MOST PEOPLE ARE IN SHALLOW WATER. And more people are struck by lightning b/c EVERYONE is exposed to thunderstorms. But does anyone really know how many attacks are reported per thousand hours spent frolicking in the deep sea…somehow I feel more “comfortable” being struck by a car than eaten by an animal.

PS- Good advice, but who the hell chooses to swim while actively bleeding? Darwin at work.
Old 01-30-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

sanuni,

I have to agree that I always try to read statistics with a wary eye. I, too, have always thought that the shallow vs. deep water statistic was misinterpreted since (as you say), the vast majority of people swimming in ocean waters are in shallow water.

I also know what you mean about the psychological difference between being smashed inside a steel shell (car), or chomped by an eating machine (shark). But worst of all is being run-through by a pirate''s cutlass, don''t you think

Fair winds,
Duane
Old 01-30-2002

SHARKS

Hi Sanuni
Statistics can not be trusted as you are right that being in the water increases the risk of being attacked of sharks.
However, statistics about being in shallow water for instance, is based on behaviorism of different spieces, for instance the great white that is warmblooded and are specialized in sea-mammals will be found near land and thus attacking people more often then the Blueshark, a deep water shark not known to attack people at all. Last year there were 34 sharkattacks in Florida, one leathal...
Statistically it''s alomost impossible to get killed by a shark. However no boat with six yellow suitcases stacked on the foredeck has ever sunk and statistically that''s very good. In real life, it doesn''t help that much:-)
Old 01-30-2002

sanuni is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

I agree that the risk is small (except for the poor bastard who was eaten), but I do not buy into the shallow water bit. Why do people rob banks…that is where the money is. Why do sharks attack people in shallow water…that is where the people are.

Last year I saw a gory video of a marine biology student loose her leg while swimming with 6-7 others next to two boats some 20 miles off the coast (I believe it was Argentina). She may have survived and the actual attack took only one pass, about 2 seconds, but it was messy and she will never be the same.

This fall, while in Spain, the evening news was showing a “herd” of Great Whites feeding on the carcass of a dead whale (tour boats where bringing people in to see the sight and some idiot actually was videoed walking on the carcass while 10+ sharks thrashed about pulling chunks off the dead whale... it was a very big whale... apparently the man had no difficulty getting back on board and was unhurt. The news was questioning whether he should be arrested for his stupidity).

Last, people who actually fish for shark rarely do so in “shallow water.” How many Great Whites have been caught from the beach?

Again, it is unlikely, but I wouldn’t say it is nearly impossible.

PS- Thanks for the tip, but I am having trouble keeping the suitcases on deck :-)
Old 01-30-2002

SHARKS

Ahoy sanuni, I have some nice shark straps I use to keep my suitcases on deck with. Caught em in shallow water after I dove down and hit em on the head wit a wrench I stole in Tampa. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.