SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

anchor lights

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SV Siren 
#1 ·
Having sailed extensively outside the US
I always use an anchor light in the fore traingle, which is required by international regulations.

How do US sailors get by with just a masthead light?

Bill

G
#2 ·
According to COLREGS "(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length (at anchor) may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule."

Jeff

#5 ·
i have seen the ineffectiveness of masthead lights personally.
i use a very bright led in a perko lantern into which i have installed led BRIGHT white light. the original was only visible for 3 miles.. now it has 5 mile visibility, placed in the foretriangle is visible to all, pangas and sailboats and powerboats.
i have witnessed how masthead lights blend in with the ambient hillside local house lighting and made mine better and more visible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.