No Navigation Lights - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-24-2015 Thread Starter

No Navigation Lights

So, just out of curiosity... not that this has anything to do with something that happened while I was sailing last night... but what would be the best way to inform someone that they need to have navigation lights after you have almost run them over?

OK, maybe "almost run them over" was a bit of an exaggeration, but it is a bit unsettling to be on a course for half an hour and then suddenly realize there is another boat in your path. The boat was anchored and we spotted them with about 200 yards of distance between us. I feel like I would have a hard time explaining how I ran over an anchored boat. I sail on a city lake and there are tons of street lights, tower lights, stadium lights, and other lights off in the distance so I try to make sure that I'm lit up like a carnival ride. But this boat was completely dark. Not even a cabin light on.

Would yelling "HEY! YOU NEED NAV LIGHTS!" be uncalled for?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-24-2015

Re: No Navigation Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron42 View Post
----
Would yelling "HEY! YOU NEED NAV LIGHTS!" be uncalled for?
Personally I would yell "Turn on your damn anchor light!"
Assuming there was somebody on board.
ChristinaM likes this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #3 of 22 Old 06-24-2015

Worldwide, no lights is the norm. Just don't hit them. Go away silently. Think about this: he has no lights, it's America, you start yelling stuff, he sweeps you with shots from his 9mm. Just go quietly.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #4 of 22 Old 06-24-2015 Thread Starter

Well, it seems as though the point of lights is to make sure that one is visible enough to avoid a collision. I take a bit of offense that you feel that everyone in America is ready to start shooting at the top of a hat. Also, I wouldn't be too worried about getting hit by someone shooting 9mm from a sailboat at 200 yards.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-24-2015

Dock

Quote:
.Would yelling "HEY! YOU NEED NAV LIGHTS!" be uncalled for?
I would add the F word a few times. Its a wonderful international word that is instantly understandable no matter the language of the hearer...

jerryrlitton likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-25-2015

A single long blast on the compressed air horn should/would be appropriate.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-25-2015

Was the spot he was anchored in a designated anchoring area marked on a nautical chart?
AdamLein likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-25-2015

Interesting your relative sense of danger in comparing an unlit anchored boat at 200 yards versus some unknown, possibly dangerous, irate sailor you have just awoken. That aside, perhaps this unlit boat is in a designated anchorage unknown to you. Perhaps they are unloading a type of cargo that is best unloaded in poor visibility conditions. But that aside too, I would be glad I spotted her at 200 yards, or whatever, and go on my merry way without saying or doing anything. No good ever comes from such things, in my opinion. Call the responsible authority, yes, but get involved these days, no. Perhaps in the morning, if you are nearby, you can pay a friendly visit, possibly make a friend, and mention politely your problem seeing her at night. Just a tip.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #9 of 22 Old 06-25-2015

I agree that yelling expletives in the night may not make you a friend. That being said, I would also think that the chances they're up to nefarious things that they'd shoot at you over would be near nil.

Even if it was a drug boat, would it not be more prudent for them to not murder every passer by? That kind of thing arouses more suspicion than not having anchor lights...

I'd probably not have said anything, personally, and as a Canadian, would have apologised had I run into their boat (it's what we do... Sorry...). That being said, it would piss me off, and I'd consider coming on here and starting a thread about it!
post #10 of 22 Old 06-25-2015 Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I sail on a relatively small municipal lake. It's only about a 10 mile walk around the entire lake. So there are no anchoring areas and a sailboat is probably the least efficient way to get drugs from one side of the lake to the other lol.
capta and agentjohnson like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.