SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where to go for seamanship knowledge?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Rhapsody-NS27 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone, I'd like to expand my sailing knowledge and skills to go from small inland lake sailing to ocean / great lakes sailing where I'll need appropriate navigation skills and the ability to handle rough weather and seas. I'm fairly new to sailing, bought my first boat (23' S2), and am now sailing on Lake Erie. I can successfully take my boat out under sail and get back with no problems, and have people at the sailing club who I am learning from, but I'd like to speed up the learning process.

Are there any online courses or coast guard courses that teach this type of material?

I've referenced some sailing books, but have not quite found what I'm after.

Thanks for any info!

#8 ·
Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship ......

etc. etc. are all good 'starting points', as well as getting away from the dock at every opportunity and actually sailing/piloting ... and learning from your mistakes, etc.

;-)

Good advice. Personally I carry Chapman's on board. It's always good source for the beginners or to occasionally brush up on nautical knowledge.

#4 ·
If you don't want to shell out for actual sailing instruction, Youtube is a great resource. Maryland School of Sailing has really good instructional videos.

#6 ·
#9 ·
Click davidpm's link in his post. It will take you to the ASA website. It also has a search feature for you to find classes near you.

I think the ASA sailing classes are very well regarded but it comes down to how well the individual instructor is. That said, I don't remember hearing anyone say anything negative about the courses. I took the basic keelboat course over two weekends and really enjoyed it.

#10 ·
I was in the same position as you fifteen or so years ago. I was doing small lake sailing on a Chrysler Pirateer and wanted to move up to bigger boats on the ocean. So I took the ASA classes. I also found people looking for crew and sailed as much as possible. This is an avocation where you will learn that there is always more to learn. And you do so one step at a time. That was my path and it worked for me. You seem to be in a real good position to get a lot of sailing in and help from others. But for me the ASA classes helped.

#12 ·
If you decide to go the ASA route, I'd hold off on buying their books since you'll just get another one when you sign up for the course. When I signed up they mailed me the book and I was expected to read it prior to the on-water class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.