Anchorage near C & D canal - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-26-2015 Thread Starter

Anchorage near C & D canal

Will be leaving boat show and want to spend night before entering canal. Boat draws 7.5'. Recommendations? Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-01-2015

Re: Anchorage near C & D canal

The Bohemia river area has an anchorage that's good for waiting out favorable currents. There are some shoals though that could be something to watch out for with your draft.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Oct 01, 7 42 16 PM.jpg  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-02-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

If the weather isn't bad there's an acceptable anchorage in front of Worton Creek.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-02-2015

The Bohemia R. is NOT a place for a 7.5ft. draft.
Most boats w/ 6ft. drafts transiting to the Marinas on the Bohemia usually/recently have to wait for high tide; plus, with the gales/hurricane now offshore producing northerly and/or north-easterly winds --- such typically will LOWER the water level in the Upper Ches. (and LOTS of westerly flowing water in the C&D Canal, especially when the Del. River -use Reedy Point as your tide benchmark station- is at full flood).

For a staging point close to the C&D, and with N-NE winds, Id 'risk' anchoring on the outside of the mouth of the Sassafrass River (west of Ordinary Point) & just east of Grove Point (north shore of Sassf.) and tucked under one of the cliffs (watch out for boulders close to shore when near the cliffs, especially towards the bay) or close in using the tree line as your wind break.
Ditto the same with anchoring on the N-NE side (cliffs) of Still Pond.

Both of these 'outside' areas should NOT be used to anchor when there are greater than 'gentle' W-NW winds in the forecast.

The entrance to Worton Cr. (my home port) is OK for anchoring (not in a W-NW'er); but, its about 2.5 hr. from the C&D. Sassafras R. @ 1 hr., Still pond about 2 hrs. to the C&D.

:-)

Last edited by RichH; 10-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-03-2015

What about Engineer's Cove in Chesapeake City? It's only about an hour past Bohemia. I haven't been in there in a couple years, so not sure the status of shoaling vs. dredging for a 7.5 foot draft. Over Labor Day weekend I did notice that they have new markers encouraging traffic to stay on the east side of the entrance.

From a couple years ago, I'd say it's too shallow for 7.5 foot draft, but if someone knows of more recent dredging it might be doable, so I'm just putting it out there for others to comment on.

I guess one other option that is definitely doable is a slip at Shaefer's Canal House, though it will cost $$$ and have a LOT of current.

Maybe he could try Engineer's Cove for free anchorage and if it's too shallow to get in or too crowded, then head over to Shaeffer's for a slip as a backup plan.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (new owners relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-04-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-03-2015

What TakeFive wrote;

Last time I was in Engineers Cove, Chesapeake City this July there where at least 3 sail boats over 40ft, one at the town dock and two in the anchorage.

I draw 4ft so never a problem for me.
Depth sounder showed at least 10ft at the entrance with 5ft at the end of the dinghy dock. When the free town dock is full (at least 9ft depth) I use the free slips posted as "end of dredging".

Inside the canal is well illuminated with yellow sodium lights, and an easy approach even after dark from Turkey Point with marked channel lighted buoys and range lights.

Plan your transit using current not tide as the current change is out of phase with high and low tide.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA

Last edited by Ulladh; 10-03-2015 at 10:23 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-04-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

I thought of engineer's cove and that maybe the depth might be a bit risky for a 7'6" draft. If there are a lot of boats in the cove, which is possible this time of year as snowbirds stop on the way down, then he's sort of screwed.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I thought of engineer's cove and that maybe the depth might be a bit risky for a 7'6" draft. If there are a lot of boats in the cove, which is possible this time of year as snowbirds stop on the way down, then he's sort of screwed.
A few years ago he would have been screwed. With Shaefer's reopened with slips for rent, he'd merely be out a few dollars. That could make it an acceptable risk, given that there's not much else up that far for his draft.

PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (new owners relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-04-2015 at 07:27 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-04-2015

The latest (9-24-15) advisory from Active Captain for the entrance to the Engineers Cove at Chesapeake City on the C&D ... has the depth at 7' MLW ..... meaning that he'll ground out with a 7.5ft keel depth.
The east side of the entrance along the east bulkhead and 20 ft. off the bulkhead is now the preferred route in ..... but requires precise following of the buoys inside. No further info on the depths on the 'inside'. Check the Active Captain website for full details.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The latest (9-24-15) advisory from Active Captain for the entrance to the Engineers Cove at Chesapeake City on the C&D ... has the depth at 7' MLW ..... meaning that he'll ground out with a 7.5ft keel depth...
...if he goes in at MLW. A quick look at tide tables or wxTide predictions shows that he could find a window to get in/out unless there is an extreme weather event that lowers the water level. And if that happens, there is still Shaefer's Canal House on the north side.

One comment about the new markers there: during the times that I passed the cove this summer, EVERY SINGLE stinkpot I saw went in to the west of the red marker. It's as if they thought it was marking the center of the channel. I was wondering if I would see one of them run aground.

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-04-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.