Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006

Iraklis is on a distinguished road
MOB drowning experience

Hi everyone,

Last summer, while sailing in the mediterranean, I had the tragic experience of seeing a man drown in front of me without me being able to save his life. I wanted to share the story and the lessons it taught me (albeit at a very high price - that poor man's life).

At that point, I had little sailing experience, so I chartered a 45-foot sailboat with 6 friends and a skipper. We were sailing on a 2-3 foot chop close to the coast, when my skipper pointed out (way out in the horizon) an inflatable that launched itself high up after hitting a wave. The skipper didn't consider this alarming in itself, and I couldn't really see anything. 5-30 minutes later we got near the same position as the inflatable was (time is approximate because the shock blurred my memory a bit). My skipper saw the inflatable adrift, and a person in the water. From the distance, he thought he was a harpoon fisherman (very common in those waters). As we got closer, we saw a man screaming at us - maybe 200 yards from us. We immediately started the engine, headed up so I could drop the sails, and motored closer to the man. By the time I looked again, I was frightened to see the man lying face down in the water. The time in between must have been 1-5 minutes.

Me and 2 women from my party jumped into the water with the buoy in hand and swam towards the victim - about 10-20 yards from the boat. We had no PFDs on, but were all pretty good swimmers, and the waters were warm. We managed to place the man's head over the buoy; I still remember the terror of seeing his head fall back into the water. By that point the man's face was red. We somehow carried him over to the transom, most of the time with his head above water.

Once at the transom, the skipper tied a loop on a line and we helped put it around the victim's body under his armpits. There were 3 of us in the water and 4 people trying to lift him from the deck. I put my knee under his crotch and my foot on one of the rungs of the swim ladder, trying to get some foothold to push him upwards. It was still a miracle that we were able to hoist him to the deck.

By that point I was in mild shock - I went to the head to vomit, and when I came back to the cockpit, I saw my friend holding the victim (face still red) sideways to help him get some of the water out of his lungs. My wife and I had taken CPR lessons in the NYC Red Cross, but they never mention to you what to do if the person's lungs are full of water. I later found out (doublecheck this) that mouth-to-mouth works even in these cases - but at the point I specifically told my wife not to do it, erroneously thinking that it would push the water further into the lungs.

From the point we picked him up in the water, the man was occasionally making some light wheezing sounds. I wasn't sure if these were attempts to speak or just the sounds of air coming out of his lungs. It sounded like the former though, and I took that as a sign that we had rescued the guy, albeit barely.

The man did one thing right - he probably had the engine kill switch (or whatever it's called) attached to him. But he should have been wearing a PFD and not using his dinghy like a waverunner.

The next day we went to the coast guard to testify. Essentially, his report concluded that the man must have fallen into the water and hit his head, which made him dizzy. The chief said that if he had been unconscious, he'd be floating facing up & breathing close to normal. It sounds hard to believe but the CG guy does these things for a living, so we can lend some credence to that. I was particularly sad that this man was only 48 or so and had 2 kids. Sorry - all this does not add to the seamanship dimension, but I couldn't help mentioning it.

Lessons learnt:

a) If a MOB is conscious alive now, he may not be so one minute afterwards. This sounds laughably obvious, but I spent 2 months of my life every year swimming and playing around the sea, and I was conditioned to seeing people in the water frolicking and having fun - not drowning. My natural reaction to seeing the MOB was "OK good - we spotted the guy - now he can wait for a minute for us to go get him". I still remember the shivers I got when my skipper yelled "we lost him".

b) Always have the halyard flaked so it's easy to drop if needed. Fortunately this wasn't a problem in this case.

c) We did not use a lifesling (the boat had a horseshoe buoy though). The greatest advantage in cold waters is being able to retrieve a person without having someone else jump in. In our case, as the person was unconscious, it would have helped with the hoisting. The victim was obese (probably over 250 lbs) and was impossible to drag up the transom (see above)

d) Lifesling MOB retrieval without the engine is taught with religious fervor over here (for good reason), but I think that, in this case, using the engine is practical if the skipper is watching carefully, the seas are reasonably calm, and getting to within 10 yards of the victim is sufficient. Obviously, the propeller can pose a danger, but your brain may not be functional enough at that point to do the quick-stop maneuver or whatever while you see a body face down in the water. Platitude alert: practice your LifeSling!

e) In retrospect, we should have had PFDs handy and should have jumped with the PFDs on. Perhaps the man would gain conscience and start pushing us down into the water in his panic - you never know.

f) I'm a rational person with military experience and everything, but I still almost lost the ability to help with the rescue once I got back on the boat. It was partly the shock and partly the extreme physical effort I exerted while trying to push the victim up the transom. Not sure if this translates to a lesson, but keep this in mind.

I hope this very unpleasant experience may be at least be educational to others.

(keywords to make this searchable: MOB man overboard lifesling victim rescue drown drowned drowning victim)
Old 08-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Always having a halyard flaked is irresponsible on a sailboat. The halyard should be neatly coiled and easily released so sails can be lowered, but leaving the halyard flaked is a tripping hazard and the line can easily tangle as the boat heels from side to side and the crew moves about the boat. I hope you can understand why I say this.

Jumping into the water to help effect a MOB rescue is generally unwise at best. Often it results in having to rescue multiple people, instead of just the one to begin with. In the case of an unconscious individual, it is generally unavoidable though. Jumping in and not wearing a PFD is just foolish IMHO.

The LifeSling is an excellent tool, but it, like any other tool, needs to be practiced with in order to become proficient with it. The block and tackle suggested by LifeSling is a two-to-one and completely insufficient IMHO. A four-to-one or six-to-one block makes it much more reasonable when trying to haul a 200+ lb. person, who may be wearing clothes that add another 30+ lbs. of weight due to water absorption.

Whenever I go out sailing, I tend to sail as if I am sailing singlehanded, at least with respect to the safety measures I take, if I know that the people sailing with me are not capable of doing a proper MOB recovery. Many crew, while excellent as crew, are not capable of doing a MOB recovery without instruction.

Practice helps, but nothing beats experience boat handling and sailing in the end. Most MOB drills are not done under the panicked circumstances, and bad conditions of the usual MOB accident. When was the last time you did a MOB drill...and what conditions was it under?

Also, most MOB drills do not simulate the difficulty of spotting a man in the water. To get an idea of how hard a man in the water, not wearing a brightly colored-PFD or foul weather gear is to spot, try tossing a coconut overboard. A coconut is about the size of a man's head, and floats about as high. Look to see how quickly you lose sight of it in even a small amount of chop. You'll be rudely surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2006

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
MOB experience

Usually charter boats do have a halyard ready to be used on deck. It is the spinnaker halyard often serving to fix the dinghy. Your name (Iraklis = Hercules) suggests that you were sailing in Greece and I assume that the boat carried no spinnaker (as most charter boats do, since in Greece you either have too much wind and hence you are unable to hoist a spinnaker or too little and your direction is somehow to windward) and your inflatable covered the front cabin hatch. Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to haul the victim out of the water from the stern? Shouldn't your skipper know how to quickly resuscitate the victim and not rely on the crew's first aid skills?
I understand that it is easier to pose questions while at rest in front of your PC screen than to react swiftly and appropriately during a real emergency, but your description of the tragic event gave me the impression of panic and aw among the crew, skipper included.
Old 08-27-2006

Iraklis is on a distinguished road
sailingdog - I agree 100% with what you're saying, but I can't say this about the halyard. We kept the halyard on an untrafficed corner of the cabin floor instead of on the sole, so this wan't as much of a tripping hazard.

Jumping in without a PFD was indeed foolish, which is the reason why I pointed it out :-)

chrondi - very good on the Iraklis = Hercules part! I was trying to avoid saying it was in Greece because then I'd have to admit that the skipper did not have first aid skills and sully some reputations - although he did otherwise handle the situation well and was in control. I was the one with the mild panic. We did try to haul the victim from the stern though, using the incline of the transom.

Anyway, all of these are good points. I wanted to illustrate a real-life situation to point out all these deficiencies.

Regards,
Iraklis
Old 08-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Iraklis-

A properly coiled halyard is far less likely to get tangled or fouled, and is just as quick to deploy. Leaving it flaked, even in a "untrafficked corner" of the cockpit, is still riskier IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-14-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Iraklis-

A properly coiled halyard is far less likely to get tangled or fouled, and is just as quick to deploy. Leaving it flaked, even in a "untrafficked corner" of the cockpit, is still riskier IMHO.
IMHO the coiled halyard should also be stowed in a bag or on an unused which or cleat to reduce the possibility of it ending up around the prop.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...
Old 09-14-2006
Telstar 28

Neal-

Properly coiled halyards
in my book are stowed in a locker or on a cleat, pin or winch, so they do not fall overboard.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-17-2006

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Water is not commonly found in the lungs of drowning victims.

Even if it were, you have got to get oxygen into the victim's blood and get it circulating or it's game over.

I was not there and not under the dreadful tensions you had to face.
Old 09-21-2006

onenikos is on a distinguished road
I would have called Olympia Radio with pan for med assistance-instructions over VHF.(Olympia Radio=Hellas Radio Ch16). Just for your info it is mandatory from now on for Coastal Transport Ships in Greece to have a doctor on board. Usually there is one arround.
Anyway very sory for your experience. Neither his nor your life is in your hands.
Old 09-25-2006

skprmo is on a distinguished road
MOB - is a MAYDAY situation.

As I remember MOB (COB as is used today) is considered a MAYDAY, especially in the latter stages of this situation.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.