Reefing Downwind - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 11-02-2015 Thread Starter

Reefing Downwind

I just took the ASA 206 instructor certification course for Advanced Coastal Cruising.

The instructor had us demonstrate and teach how to reef the main downwind.

It was two line reefing.

The process was as follows:

Sail dead downwind
Tighting topping lift
Release boom vang
Tighten main-sheet
Tighten reefing line
Release halyard slowly keeping the halyard release behind the reefing line tightening.
We also had to release the mainsheet and tighten the topping lift at one point.
Once the reef was set we lowered the halyard put on the reef hook and re- tensioned the halyard.

The idea was to not let the main twist off and lay against the mast.

It was claimed that this works great of you know what you are doing.

There was three of us candidate instructors and frankly I have my doubts as to how successful this trick would be in a real situation.

Does anyone know about this technique?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

Re: Reefing Downwind

I just roll ous in. no problem.
capta likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
In the Black Sea
post #3 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

You have it about right.

How much do you "tighten the mainsheet"?

Do I understand that you are reefing the clew before the tack? That might solve the friction issue of the sail against the rig. But can the luff be brought down with the clew tension on?

Interesting.

Either way, it is certainly key (in my experience) to pull the luff down to the tack as the halyard is eased because any slack in the luff above causes problems.
Brent Swain likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell

post #4 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

The method works OK; but, it Helps if one has lazy jacks although in the higher wind ranges the sail will/can be prevented to come down to the appropriate reef position. The potential problem is when the vang is left totally slack in such reefing conditions, a main held to the centerline and if the boat severely yaws due to wave action ...... better have the companion way closed for a 'just in case'.
I think its mostly better and I prefer when reefing to turn upwards into the wind with a bit of wind pressure on the sails .... for less chance of breaking off the sail slugs (and making an instant spinnaker out of a mainsail .... been there done that and it ain't fun).
post #5 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

You said the boat had two-line reefing.

In your description of the procedure you said "Tighten reefing line." Were you referring to the aft reefing line? If so, then that means you pulled the aft reef cringle down to the boom and tightened the aft reefing line before you attached the forward reef cringle to the reef hook. If so, I would reverse that order. When you tension the aft reefing line, the line pulls down and aft. If the forward reef cringle has been attached to the reef hook, then the foot of the sail will be pulled taut when you tension the aft reef line. If you tension the aft reef line before you attach the forward reef cringle to the reef hook, you probably won't be able to get the forward reef cringle on the reef hook.
jblumhorst likes this.
post #6 of 64 Old 11-02-2015
Bluenoser

What's wrong with rounding up, tucking in a reef, bearing off again and going on your way? Less wear and tear and likely just as quick.
RichH, capta, Minnesail and 4 others like this.
post #7 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

You might be in a situation where rounding up will expose you to dangerous sea conditions. Imagine the scenario where you are sailing downwind in a storm, and have left it too long to reef.
Brent Swain likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #8 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

If you tuck in your reef when a big wind is imminent, but before it hits, then I think tucking in a reef downwind would be ok. If you waited until the wind was already up, then I think it would be easer to round up to windward to tuck it in
post #9 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You might be in a situation where rounding up will expose you to dangerous sea conditions. Imagine the scenario where you are sailing downwind in a storm, and have left it too long to reef.
If you waited until the conditions reached survival proportions without reefing, you're probably gonna die anyway.

You can't continue running downwind in dangerous sea conditions with the unreefed main flying. You have to reduce sail area somehow. You could try rounding up to windward, and then, while you have momentum, cross the eye of the wind without releasing the jibsheet and going into heave-to mode. That might settle the boat enough to let you reduce some sail area.
jblumhorst likes this.
post #10 of 64 Old 11-02-2015

The only situation where I can imagine it's safe to reef downwind is one where the pressure in the sail is extremely low. You have to hold the boat DDW, and if there's any apparent wind, failure to do so will cause you to round up. If you can pull this off, then I imagine it's because you are reefing very early, in which case I commend your preparation! In any situation where you don't feel safe going head to wind, I can't imagine pulling this off.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.