Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
Let me use an analogy:

I think there was a famous quote that went something like the following, "If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it."

I would like to adapt the quote to the situation at hand. "If you have to ask if you are ready to circumnavigate, your not."

I have very little sailing experience, but what do you all think of the above phrase?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Here's another link: http://www.sailzora.com/

Where are you located now? Where would you anticipate beginning your adventure? If somewhere in the northeast/mid-atlantic, for example, you can gain your experience in bits and pieces as you make your way down the coast to the carribean sea and eventually to panama and beyond.

Quote:
My husband is a huge adventurer and wanted to take this on with our kids before they were to old.
What about you? Are YOU an adventurer?

Quote:
I guess the question is now is this really safe?
Sailing, Cruising, is as safe as you want it to be. It's just up to you and your family to make it safe.

Start with small steps or jump in, either way GO! But make sure you are always learning. That requires being open to new experiences, pushing your limits, challenging yourself ... taking measured risks, being accepting of some level of occaisional discomfort, and holding yourselves accountable for your own decisions and actions.
Old 09-21-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfactor
"If you have to ask if you are ready to circumnavigate, your not."
This came up once in a discussion on another board about insuring a boat for an ocean crossing -- just how much experience do the insurers expect of you before they'll issue a policy?

When you're ready and willing to make the crossing without any insurance coverage, that's how much ;-)
Old 09-21-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I have no problem with adults who wanna risk their lives...but when you lack experience and competence how can you propose putting kids lives in real jeopardy? Do it step by step...much of sailing is judgement and that takes time.
Old 09-21-2006

WannaSail14 is on a distinguished road
Okay guys,

I guess I should maybe expand a little more. What we are planning on doing is buying a boat in the BVI's or USVI. Spending a year there getting used to the boat, getting some open water experioence doing some 5 - 7 days on the ocean. Heading to Trinidad spending some time there. After that we would then head to the north atlantic spend some time there and then head down the south atlantic ocean and then over to the indian sea and finally end up in Australia. So technically sorry I called it circumnavigating but it isn't, sorry about that. Everyone's information has been great. My husband is a lot more confident than I. Although I completely trust him, I also have my parents putting things in my head, which is good in some ways because I never would have thought of a few things. We are busy reading books and magazines right now to also get some information.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
If you do lots of reading, buy a boat and sail it in increasingly challenging conditions, talk with people who go offshore like you are planning, you will gradually get a much better sense of what's involved, and whether you are ready to undertake this adventure than what people here can tell you. More information is usually better, so don't ignore any of the advice you are getting, but with your own experience sailing your boat in heavier weather, you will be in a better position to decide.
good luck!
Frank.
Old 09-25-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
This plan sounds a lot better! Your initial post seemed to imply that you were just going to get in a boat and head off with no experience, Tania Aebi style.

Caribbean is a good place to build your skills, and there will be wonderful opportunities for the kids. Think Trinidad for hurricane season, and it's *the* place for boat work if you need any done. Also check out the message boards at ssca.org, which is focused on living aboard and cruising fulltime, exactly like what you are planning.
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you are in a well-found, seaworthy boat, and have the skills and common sense, I would say that venturing around the world is probably far safer than living in any US major metropolitan area. I say go for it... there was a recent study done about the children of long distance cruisers, and they seem to be better adjusted than many of their non-sailing counterparts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-07-2006

WannaSail14 is on a distinguished road
Ta Chaio CT Ketch

Hi,

We really like this boat can anyone give some insight on its capabilities as well locations where there may be more available. We can only find a few by looking on websites.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2006

Kawan is on a distinguished road
Just picked up on this thread.
My wife and I sailed with our three kids (10,8,and 6), from Florida to Indonesia across the Pacific.
We had VERY limited sailing experience, but read lots (especialy all the disaster stories) and studied how WE could have avoided or dealt with said disasters.
What helped immensely was that the boat we found needed some blister work, so, as it dried out (JULY and AUGUST in Florida),we lived on it and I took apart and reassembled almost everything on the boat - I picked up lots of skills and when we did have the inevitable failures in awkward locations, I was able to make the necessary repairs.
Was it worth it? - almost 20 years later, my kids still talk about the trip and what they learnt.