Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
A wise man (camaraderie) suggested a step by step approach. I just subscribe to this line.
Keep the dream alive and get appropriately prepared for it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2006

Sialia is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog,

Will you post a link to the study you mentioned, please.
Old 10-15-2006

kels316 is on a distinguished road
Do It!

Wanna,

There are plenty of day sailors who post to forums sounding like salty old sea dogs - take all the advice on the internet with a healthy dose of salt (including this advice, of course). I've seen plenty of BS passed off as first hand knowledge on the 'net.

Your plan is sound and the time you will spend in preparation will probably amount to more sailing time than all the nay-sayers on the net put together! Seek out advice from "real" people who have done similar trips and can tell you about it in person. The opinions of anonymous strangers on a forum are not something to base your decisions on.

You wouldn't be comtemplating the trip if you thought it would endanger the life of your family, would you? Trust your own judgement...

To paraphrase Slocum - I say go.
Old 10-15-2006

roger753 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to roger753
There is a brazilian family that cincunavigated with their kids for 10 years. I know them personally and they are very nice people. Check their site www.familiaventura.com.br. You will find good info and e-mail them for questions. Good Luck. Good Winds. But if you ask to much people of pros and cons, you will never leave harbour.
Old 10-26-2006

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Wanna

Hi

The organization previously mentioned is the "Bluewater Cruising organization"

www.bluewatercruising.org

Another option I've not seen mention is to simply take experienced people with you on the most challenging legs of your voyage. It is usually not difficult to find people interested, and if you do it through a reputable group, like the one above, the seven seas cruising association or the cruising club of America, you should be able to be reassured you'll find good people. This way you can start the dream sooner rather than later, but also have confidence and safety in extra hands and knowledge and experience.

M Murphy
Old 10-26-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger753
But if you ask to much people of pros and cons, you will never leave harbour.
How true

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-31-2006

WannaSail14 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all you insights.

We are planning to do it. Yes gathering lots of information and speaking with alot of people. We have subscribed to many magazines purchased alot of books and have been doing a lot in internet searching. There is a family here in Edmonton, Alberta that sailed for a year and we are going to get in touch with them and see if they will meet us. And as stated before yes we will be taking a full year to learn the boat gather more experience and get a ton more information as we go from fellow sailors. And yes the plan is to ride out Hurricane season in Trinidad. Yes my husband is an adventurere but not a stupid one. He would never do anything to harm us. We will not be on a schedule so we will only be making passages and sailing when weather permits. And yes I know weather comes out of no where but we will do our best to avoid those circumstances.

Now with that said and done. Better place to buy a boat Florida or the BVI?

Cheers and thanks for all your help so far!
Old 11-01-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
reading

Hello Wanna

on amazon.com there are at least 6 books on circumavigating, and another half dozen on single handing which would be good. Almost all of these have used, greatly reduced price versions, many in 'almost new' condition, these will give a lot of hard core information, a couple by a guy named tristan jones to skip. Armchair sailor.

But books by family navigators as well as couples. They should help a lot.

Good luck. Do your dream.
Old 11-01-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
WannaSail, If I didn't mention it before, Dave and Jaja Martin's book, "Into the Light," would be a great read for you. They now have a DVD out, "Ice Blink" -- see http://www.iceblinksail.com/home.html

I just got my copy on Monday, and we watched it together as a family that night. Last night, my 8-year-old son asked if we could watch it again!

Regards,
Old 11-01-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
WannaSail...I would suggest that FL is a far better place to buy a voyaging boat than the BVI's for the following reasons:
1. Far more boats (CRUISING BOATS)to choose from...10 times the inventory or more.
2. Lots of services available to get whatever you buy fixed up for cruising at decent prices.
3. Fewer ex-charter boats or "undisclosed" hurricane boats.
4. You can jump off to the Bahamas for a shake down cruise and still get easily back to the states if repairs are needed or if "chicken harbor" becomes a final destination.
5. The "thorny path" down island will be a good but moderate test of booth boat and crew.