Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2002

SloopSailor is on a distinguished road
What ever happened to USyacht?

As a previous co-owner of a 1983 US 27 I can tell you they were definitely NOT made from chopped glass. We installed through hulls, and new hatches so we cut into the boats hull and cabin top. The hull was actually quite thick(perhaps heavier than neccessary) as was the cabin top. The glass was definitely not chopper gunned, it was nice layers of glass cloth. The construction was actually better than we expected when we bought the boat. The problem with the US 27 was the timing. It came out after the Buccanneer line that was so poorly designed and the stigma Bayliner had on its sailboats followed.
Plus Bayliner decided to focus on the Capri power boat line they had just introduced.

Pearson actually bought the entire US Yacht line and produced them in an identical manner as Bayliner did, down to the fabrics on the interior. Pearson made them for one year, 1984. If you see a 1984 Pearson Triton, its a US Yacht.

The boats sail very well, and handle rough weather very well. The only problem we ever had was a leaky portlight(easily fixed).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2002

evecircleM is on a distinguished road

Thank you Sloopsailor,
I know the boat handles great in rough weather and I did have some leaks which I did fix. Maybe the boat is worth keeping after all.
Eve
Old 02-22-2002

ondro is on a distinguished road

I always find it remarkable how those who DO NOT own a specific boat know so much about it. I, however, actually own a US27. Now some of you may say "too bad" but hey, we are all entitled to our own opinion. I too have been on other peoples boats...and have actually repaired other boats - but I know my own vessel the best and I would not claim to be an expert on late 70''s Ericsons or Columbias...or even the Buccaneer. Remember I own a U.S. Yacht.

I do know the history of Bayliner and how they worked on the Bucc for years - then to shed the bad reputation, they hired Peterson to design a racer/cruiser and changed the name to United Sailing Yachts and produced 18 - 30+ foot boats. With the huge success of their "family friendly" ciera and capri power boats - all the sailing production was halted and switched back to power. The molds and specs were sold to Pearson.

This is all history - the fact remains that there are quite a few US Yachts still sailing around the country today and I have yet to talk to - or email any owner that is dissatisfied with the vessels. It seems that all of the bad rap comes from those who believe their boat...or the boat they wish they own, is better than a US Yacht.

I''m not here to argue chopped or roving - or the core material. These things are important - you need to know your own boat. Don''t just listen to other peoples "opinions". If you look hard enough there are a lot of "facts" you can find on the US Yachts. Most of these facts come from the owners of US Yachts.

I bought my boat because that is the boat I wanted - My neighbor at the dock bought his Columbia because that is the boat he wanted. I can sail circles around his boat and I can point much closer to the wind - I have Edson steering and all the other perks that a US27 comes with because "that is what I wanted".

If I wanted to sail the ocean - maybe a Cape Dory would have suited me better. But I sail the Chesapeake Bay. My boat sails well in light air - shes roomy inside - quick upwind - has a great little diesel to help out some days - the 5''2" draft is a bit deep sometimes but the pros of a deep fin outweigh a shoal draft in my book.

You see, its silly to listen only to those who "think" US Yachts are bad boats - these are probably the same people who "think" they own Island Packets....when actually is just a Catalina.

Should I say Catalinas are bad boats - of course not...I don''t own one-how would I "really" know.

Old 04-02-2002

SloopSailor is on a distinguished road

Jeff, Some of your information on the US Yacht line is in error. My brother and I owned a US 27 together for 3 years, he still has it. We did modifications to the boat to suit our needs and I can say with absolute certainty there is NO CHOPPED GLASS used in the construction. The hull is very solid glass roving. The deck is is fairly heavy glass with balsa core--marine ply where hardware is attached. The only real problems the US Yachts have is the windows tend to leak, but they are easily sealed.

What really killed the US Yacht line for Bayliner was the fact they introduced their Capri line of powerboats at about the same time as the US Yachts. The Capri line sold so well they needed the space to manufacture the powerboats. Pearson made the entire US Yacht line, except for the 33 and 42 for one year although they did not produce many of them.

By the way, if your US Yacht 27 is slow, you might need new sails. We had no trouble sailing with much larger boats than ours.

I currently have one of the rare US21''s. Totally different from any of their other boats.

If anyone wants more information on US Yachts just drop me a line and I will provide what I can.
Old 05-10-2002

darrell123 is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread....

I recently bought a 1984 Pearson Triton 25. Although I knew very little about the boat or it''s lineage, the survey was great, the boat sailed well, and the price was defintiely right.

I initially had a very hard time finding out anything about the boat, but eventually found out that it was manufactured by Pearson, for one year only, in 1984. Pearson bought the molds from US Yachts, as a complement to their existing lines of boats. I believe Pearson made only 2 minor changes to the US Yacht product in my model, and they were very minor changes at that.

Pearson owners thumb their noses at these boats, seeing them as something less because they were not designed by somebody famous.

After having owned and sailed this boat for about 6 months, I can tell you that it is solid as a rock, well-constructed, and sails like a dream. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows about a website for US Yachts models or the 1984 Pearson Tritons, as I would like to find out as much as possible about them. I plan to keep her for awhile!

dlassonde@bccfinancial.com
Old 05-10-2002

I went back in my records regarding the modifications Pearson made to the US Yacht design, and someone told me the only 2 changes were 1. Modification of the rudder bearings, and 2. modification of the windows in the cabin. (Not sure if larger or smaller.

By the way, I have a copy of the original Pearson Triton 25 brochure for anyone interested. SHould be identical in specs to the US Yacht 25.

Darrell
Old 06-16-2002

rbsrbs is on a distinguished road

I recently acquired an 18'' US Yachts craft, probably built in 1981 or 1982. Sloop Sailor mentioned that he has further info about US Yachts - I''d love to learn more. I''m an absolute beginner, but the times I''ve had her out in a brisk breeze, she gave me a whale of a ride. Anyone? Can you tell me more about the company or where I might get original specs etc? Many thanks!
Old 07-08-2002

I have the owners manual for US yachts, as well as the specs for the 1984 models procuded by Pearson, rbsrbs. Contact me for details if interested.
Old 09-21-2002

WastinAway is on a distinguished road

I have a Buccaneer that was left open by the previous owner for some time, had standing water inside and had the hull core soaked completely. I gutted her to the the outer hull bow to stern and can assure that the hull is roving, not chop. The only chop I found was where the bulkheads were tabbed to the inner layer of the hull, and this was fitted and tabbed quite well. Next spring I hope to have her back together and in the water.
Old 09-22-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

This is a topic that comes up from time to time her and on other BB''s. From the various discussions on this and other BB''s it would appear that Bucaneers used varying degrees of chopped glass coring depending on year and model.

In one of these discussions on this topic, a fellow who actually worked at the factory described what he observed. He described that during the period that he was at the factory the hulls were laid up as follows: the molds were gelcoated. Depending on the model a layer of mat and roving was applied. Next came a chopped glass to build thickness and then depending on the model a layer of roving followed by mat (in exposed areas) or simply mat in concealed areas, was applied.

This matches what I saw in the Bucaneers that I have experienced.

He also indicated that he beleived that fairly large amounts of accelerators were used to speed final curing. This tends to make the resin more brittle over time.

Jeff