little critters - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2001 Thread Starter

little critters

The other day I was cleaning my galley and
discovered these tiny little insects. They were barely visible to the naked eye. It seems that they were near dampness. They were white in color and some were red like the color of teak. I have no clue as to what to do about them. All I know is that I want them gone immediately. Anyone have a clue and maybe a way I can eliminate them?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2001

little critters

bugs
post #3 of 10 Old 10-17-2001

little critters

diatomaceous earth should do it. using a vacum cleaner blower to blow the stuff where you want it to go should put enough static charge on the stuff to adhere it to the walls. please use a mask. this stuff is tiny limestone shells of minute pre historic plankton and work by blocking the respiratory spiruls of the insects. works on any insect so far. the stuff can be bought at home depot, lowes, swimming pool supply, and some grocery stores in the swiming pool supplies area. I like it because is much more friendly than pesticides just be sure to not breath it. Theory would suggest that the body would easily deal with the limestone but hey!
let me know how it goes.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-28-2001

little critters

Yes, and we want to be friendly when killing pests, not don''t we? lol
post #5 of 10 Old 11-13-2003

little critters

open every locker and drawer bug bomb three cans will do the trick if your boat is 40''or under. Now wash all your clothes sheets everything dishes to get the poison off. The bugs have no name then but dead bugs.close up the boat and get off for a day.Do not breath the stuff get out as soon as you set the bombs off.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-14-2003

little critters

If you bomb, be sure to leave the hatches so that you can open them from the outside! Don''t go in, just open what you can from outside and let it air awhile.

Don''t know what your bugs are, but boric acid works well for roaches. Do not buy the medicinal kind, get the stuff sold near the other bug sprays. We got rid of all our roaches this way, but it takes a bit of time.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-14-2003

little critters

I got ''em too. Seen ''em on just about every wooden boat I''ve been on. They don''t seem to be botherin'' me and they don''t eat much so I just leave ''em alone.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2003

little critters

I think that diatomaceous earth is actually silica!!! The stuff that asbestos is made of in a different form. I suspect that it would be bad to breath the stuff. They use it to enhance filtration. We have a jar in my laboratory and it has a MSDS warning to use a respirator!!!! Cool stuff under a microscope!!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2004
HMSINDY

little critters

My old Tartan had those bugs and it drove my wife to madness. We finally bugbombed the boat and got rid of them. Now it''s a spring rutual. Follow precautions per previous post and take precaution against combustion via sparks, etc. You don''t want to get rid of the little critters by burning down the boat.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-27-2004

little critters

Silica can cause a condition of the lungs called fibrosis. You can also get it from fiberglass dust and many other glass like materials. I would use extream caution with this material.I am not a doctor but I had a friend who did get this from silica and almost died.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.