Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
how's a deck full of earwax sound?

most enjoyable with a nice glass of chianti!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2006

dbnorth is on a distinguished road
Since you asked about the lake...

Lake Hefner is a 2500 acre reservoir in NE Oklahoma City. It provides water for OKC. I am in the municipal slips(fix concreate piers) that are managed by the city on the west side of the lake, but there are no real marina services. There is a OKC Boat Club with floatig slips on the east side of the lake. The water level is controlled by a Water Trust that owns water in several other reservoir around the state and can let water down rivers and cannels to maintain the water level in the lake.

The lake is a good sailing lake because it a high local evation so the winds are alwasy pretty good.

Over the last few years we have have pretty sever dought conditions. This over the last 18 month we are about 19 inches below normal. So both the level in the lake and the supporting reserviors are very low.

Currently the lake is droping about 9 inches a week unless we get a little rain and then it might be only 6 inches. At this point the lake is down 8 ft or so.

This week they closed all the ramps to the lake.

We are in a pretty sad situation at this point. It is unlikly there will be a significant change until spring.
Old 11-09-2006

Thanks for the ideas.

How much of the weight of the boat should be supported by the legs vs. the keel? (I have a swing keel).
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dbnorth-

The amount of weight you put on the swing keel depends on the design. If the swing keel is essentially a weighted centerboard, that swings up in to a keelstub and trunk, then with the board retracted, you should be able to rest the boat on the keelstub and just use the legs for balance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006

My boat is a 1977 Catalina 25. I do think the swing keel is like a weighted center board that swings up into a small trunk but from the pictures I have seen it does not swing all the way in ther is still 12 inches or so below the boat.
Old 11-10-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Dad, the only thing I'll be waxing is poetic for a couple of days...
but, I've been told by the Cuban that if I get the laundry done, I can go sailing today. heheheheh.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-10-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
dbnorth...We're all still wondering how you got theboat into the slip and why you can't take it out the same way.
Anyway...with the swing keel on the Catalina...you need to get the entire weight of the boat on the jack stands. You can place a timber underneath the aft end swing keel and let that take the weight of the dropped keel by slacking off on the lifting pendant.
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I see the Cuban is the boss in your household CP... she has her priorities straight at least.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
dbnorth,
I really can't believe that you are still thinking about leaving your boat in.
Get out while you can. If its dropping 9 inches a week your going to be on the bottom very soon. Its probably dropped 5 inhches since your first post.

How much good quality sailing do you expect to get in over the winter?

But hey what do we all know, we are not in your shoes.
If it were me I would raise that retractable keel and get myself somewhere where I know my boat will be safe.

I know its bit expensvie, but could you not haul your boat for safety purposes than relaunch when all is clear? Just something to think about.

Best of luck.
Old 11-11-2006

As far as how the boat got in the lake. I bought it last summer and it was in the slip. I think the previous owner had it hauled to the lake about 4 years ago and I don't think it has been out since them. Unfortunatly I don't have a trailer for it.

Last edited by dbnorth; 11-11-2006 at 02:36 PM.