Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
Towing the dink

Our boat is only 25 feet but draws nearly 5 so we need a dingy, or a wet suit if we want to get to shore from most of the anchorages around here.
There is no room on the deck for a dink so unless were gunkholing we have to tow.
My question is: Has anyone put a toneau cover over their dink to keep the spray/green water out? Maybe an arch or two to keep it convex. Are there any traps to watch out for?.

Feetup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by feetup
Our boat is only 25 feet but draws nearly 5 so we need a dingy, or a wet suit if we want to get to shore from most of the anchorages around here.
There is no room on the deck for a dink so unless were gunkholing we have to tow.
My question is: Has anyone put a toneau cover over their dink to keep the spray/green water out? Maybe an arch or two to keep it convex. Are there any traps to watch out for?.

Feetup
This could work, but adds hassle and gives you another thing to store on a smallish boat. Simply having a transom drain plug, left open when underway, will allow the splashing and spray that gets in the boat to drain away. Most inflatables have a rubber disc checkvalve that allows you to get into the boat without a panic to replace the plug. In a hard dinghy, you may get your feet wet before you plug the hole.

If your dinghy has a daggerboard trunk, (sabot type) you will need to cover/block that as it can ship a lot of water at speed.
Old 12-15-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
John: I'm not sure if this would work with your dinghy but the Millards on their Ontario 32 used this solution with their dinghy (photo attached). When I met them at the Toronto boat show two years ago, they were very positive about this towing arrangement. I think they mentioned they even towed their dinghy across the North Sea in this manner.

I expect you are familiar with them, they sailed their Ontario 32 across the Atlantic and cruised Europe, the Mediterranean, Black Sea for about five years.

http://www.searoom.com/veleda/images/veleda4.jpg
http://www.searoom.com/veleda/
Old 12-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A tonneau cover would also prevent any water that did make its way into the dink from getting out easily, if the dinghy was not equipped with self-bailers or a transom drain plug. Since you need the drain plug anyways, why bother with the cover?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
It is common practice in the Virgin Islands to tow a dingy behind, mostly with an outboard. They should be tilted up, of course, but I've even seen some charterers who forgot to do that towing their dingy!

Both inflatables and hard dingies are towed behind with little problem. And, in the boisterous conditions of the Drake Channel on a good tradewinds day (15-25 knots, with short nasty waves) the dingys do OK, though they do put a strain on the boat and slow it down.

The amount of strain from a towed dingy with outboard and full gas tank has to be felt to be believed....it's very considerable. I've found that while painter length isn't critical, longer is better. When there's searoom, I tow my dingy about 20-30' behind.

I've NEVER seen a dingy swamped. And, I've NEVER seen one towed with the plug out. Remember, many dingies with the plug out will FILL WITH WATER unless considerable forward progress is being made.

Much of Cruisingdad's post should be taken as gospel. It's right on!

If you are going to tow a dingy with an outboard, be damned sure the outboard is securely clamped to the transom, and that there's a safety chain attached. I know of one experienced sailor who, with three lovely women crew aboard, neglected to check that little detail. His wonderful 15hp Nissan is now at the bottom of the Drake Channel somewhere north of Road Town, and he's only now beginning to be able to live that experience down. Some of you perceptive readers may be able to guess his identity :-)

Bill
Old 12-15-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Could it be that Billie-T was trying to be too much like Willie-T???
Old 12-15-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Well, after 2 weeks of towing mine, I had minimal water in it. I towed it at everything from 20' astern to about 5' and it seemed to ride just as well as at any other point. It never came close to capsizing or swamping. (8' Walker Bay) I did take the motor off though, so can't comment to that point.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-15-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Thank you Bill for the kind comment.
Old 12-15-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Camraderie....

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeee. Or maybe it was just someone who looks like me at the helm of Born Free :-)

All I can further reveal about this wretched incident is that it happened on this boat on a day like this:

http://gallery.wdsg.com/Legacy/Sailing1?full=1

Dad...

You're welcome. They asked for experience, and they got it!

Happy Holidays, all.

Bill
Old 12-15-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Bill,

Nice pictures. Your kids grow up on the water?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.