Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006

johnhalf is on a distinguished road
RNC vs. ENC

OK I am trying to get into the new millennia with this electronic chart thing. I have been playing with both ENC and RNC with Chart Navigator and Fugawi programs. I like the RNCs better, but since they are scans of the charts I'm used to, I might not be giving ENC a fair shake.
As you have already figured out I am doing this on my laptop and have never used one tied to a gps etc..
So the question is where do you folks think I should start, and what do you like best?

Last edited by johnhalf; 12-03-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John... since the ENC vector charts can be layered with information they give you a bit more flexibility and of course they are smaller but I agree with you that I like the look of the raster charts. Since all the US charts are free... you don't really need to decide as hard drive space is cheap!
Old 12-03-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I like the vector charts. One of the sailing magazines (Ithink "Sail") looked at both vector and rastor and discussed the pros and cons of each.
Old 12-03-2006

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Hey John,

Sounds like we are "birds of a feather" I just started with a redundant system to the chartplotter. I use a dell laptop with a basic Garmin GPS and Fugawi ENC software. I think by far the vector ENC charts are better as they dont distort with zoom etc and mainatin their detail. The issue that I am trying to find the answer to is to use the free NOAA ENC charts or most have propriatary software that costs money. Im trying to figure out what the difference is. Have you already got a laptop and GPS? Take my advice that any Garmin GPS will work you dont need all the bells and whistles just something to locate satellites. I think the software is key and I would be curious of what others think about the various software available.
Old 12-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I have Fugawi and SeaClearII on my laptop. The thing I like best about the Fugawi is that it seamlessly connects the charts, so that I need only move the cursor to make the upcoming chart area visable. With the SeaClearII and rastor charts, you have to load each chart as you come to it. (Perhaps there's a feature there I'm not aware of that makes that unnecessary?)

What I have been doing is using the raster charts for preplanning, and then use the Fugawi while underway. I still though, have a paper chart that I use for where ever I'm going.

For a GPS, I have a GPSMouse, a small puck shaped reciever with a USB end that hooks to the laptop and stays inside the cabin. So far, I've always gotten a good signal with it........and, it's only about $100.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I bought the bluechart software, loaded it on my laptop, plugged in my Garmin76 and away you go. The downside is you must buy each area. I will moniter this thread for other ideas.
Old 12-03-2006

Cam I like the way you think! Your right space is cheap. Pigslo
thanks, I was hoping some one had reviewed them. Sab30 I have the laptop, and the free versions of Chart Navigator and Fugawi. I will have to buy one or the other to use my GPS. I too am curious what others think of the software out there.
Old 12-03-2006

Pbzeer, I think that it will be a long time before I go without a paper backup, just to insecure i guess. Is your GpsMouse made by Globalsat?
Old 12-03-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
PB...Tip...If you click on the border of your charts in seaclear...the next chart in that direction appears.
Old 12-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
John.....yes it is

Cam....thanks for the tip, still learning with the SeaClear.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.