SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Entering a channel with breaking waves

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  outbound 
#1 ·
If you have made the decision to enter the channel when waves are breaking, would it be safer to back in the channel as to always keep the rudder in the water then going forward? You could back-in and keep the boat facing the breaking wave and give it a short burst of forward power when you see the wave coming in.
Charles

#2 ·
.... I'd say no....

Many boats are more difficult to control in reverse than in fwd... the loads on a rudder are greatly magnified at speed in reverse, and if you ended up 'surfing' backwards down a wave you could break something pretty easily: the rudder blade, the travel stops, cables, including your wrist if the wheel gets away on you.

Most boats have more freeboard forward than aft, presenting greater area to the waves and even more challenges in keeping things straight.

However all of this is moot since entering a channel in serious breaking wave conditions is simply a very bad idea...

#3 ·
I would say backing down a channel with breaking waves would not be a good idea in many situations. Keep in mind, channel bars tend to be at there ugliest when the current and wind are contrary, which means, if you are upbound (against the current) and there are nasty breakers then there is a good chance that the wind is somewhere abaft the beam and the current is somewhere forward of the beam. With the current forward of the beam, you may not have adequate power to back against the current.

I found this short instructional video on the subject that might be of interest, it has some good visuals to explain some of the challenges, not everything in it will apply to your boat or your area, but in general it's not bad.

#4 ·
I would say backing down a channel with breaking waves would not be a good idea in many situations. Keep in mind, channel bars tend to be at there ugliest when the current and wind are contrary, which means, if you are upbound (against the current) and there are nasty breakers then there is a good chance that the wind is somewhere abaft the beam and the current is somewhere forward of the beam. With the current forward of the beam, you may not have adequate power to back against the current.

I found this short instructional video on the subject that might be of interest, it has some good visuals to explain some of the challenges, not everything in it will apply to your boat or your area, but in general it's not bad.

Raglan Bar Crossing - how to cross the Raglan bar (west coast bar) - YouTube
Luckily, the professional skipper in that video can walk in slow motion.

#6 ·
The boat needs to be able to surf.

I have only done it once and won't again.

I had been waiting offshore as the conditions moderated and thought it was getting safer to do it without a breaking wave.

Motoring on the back of a wave in but waves outpace a sailing boat and a steep wave about to break came up behind and broke just before hitting me.

We went for a fast wet ride with some very fast helm work to keep from broaching.

Very easy to see how easy it could be to get tossed out of the narrow channel.

#7 ·
I remember having to go into Shinecock Inlet on Long Island for the first time at night trying to ride the backs of the breaking waves. In addition the lights of the houses and restaurants on shore had made finding the entrance lights hard to discern. Definitely a white knuckle affair. I had to meet up with a Luddite crew member (no cell phone). Would not do it again. I'd either bypass it or wait until daylight next time before ever trying it again.

#9 ·
One option for that situation is using a drogue to slow the hull down coming in. Friend in Coast Guard Aux described a rig he uses made of a half tire bridled with a bit of chain and set out on nylon rode secured to both stern cleats. He swears by it but I am not eager to test it! In theory it should work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#10 ·
He swears by it but I am not eager to test it! In theory it should work
I wouldn't be testing it either.
If your friend is using it in a channel he uses often then that may be fine. He has it rigged ready and knows the local conditions.
However if coming into a place for the first time you lose all nimblness that I need to get into an obviously shallow channel... which may not be straight... you'd be dragging a channel marker catcher!

Is he using it on the Coast Guard boat?
They would be going in and out during all sorts of crappy weather and maybe it's a really relevant tool for them. Do they tie it to the boat they are towing? How do they tow a boat in?

#11 ·
If you've ever even seen a video of, let alone actually done, any of the bar entrances in the PNW, you probably wouldn't have asked the question.
It's all about timing and power at the right instant, neither of which you would have going in reverse, bow to the waves. Just as a surfer picks the right wave to ride the front of, dropping in and powering through the tube, a boater picks the right wave to ride the back of, when entering a dangerous channel. Lose that control and you'd be lucky if the boat is the only thing you lose.
Remember, waves are that shape and so dangerous because the current and the waves are going in opposite directions. I doubt most sailboats would have the power and maneuverability, in reverse, to go against the current and keep their bow to the waves. Better to wrap the reins tightly around your glove, grab your hat with the other hand, kick the bull with your spurs, and hold on for dear life! It's only eleven seconds, right?

#12 ·
We've done it once and it was a bit intense. But we surfed in and tried like heck to work the throttle and helm to keep the boat straight - it was an unknown harbor to us and made it more intense as we could only pray that the charts were correct -

In our opinion you have better steering control going forward

Hope never have to do it again -

#20 ·
Down here periodically hear of lost boats and life when someone decides to run a "rage". That's with a mile or more on either side. . Can't think of difficulty of running a narrow channel.
Personally have bypassed NJ several times not wanting to deal with even those relatively benign entrances in a strong easterly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.