SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anchor Retrieval Line

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  156680 
#1 ·
I have seen many posts on anchoring but wonder if there are many suggestions for rigging a retrieval line in anticipation of the anchor anchor/rode getting fouled in a rocky or otherwise challenging bottom.

Years back I would use a separate line from the back of the anchor to a floating buoy, but had to ward off others so as not to have my anchor pulled up. Such a system also seems to take up a lot of otherwise useful anchorage area.

I now have an all chain rode, and use a retrieval line longer than the depth of the water, one end fastened to the back of the anchor, the other end clipped part way up the anchor rode. Letting out sufficient rode results in the retrieval line laying on the sea bed.

Are there better or other processed utilized by cruising skippers?

Resolve78

#2 ·
Agree that while buoying the anchor helps others to know where your hook is, it also reduces swinging space for others. And, unless you match the depth, or use shock cord, the float probably isn't really above the hook anyhow.

Your system sounds like a reasonable compromise if fouling your anchor is a regular occurrence. Btw.. curious about how often that retrieval line was truly needed?

#3 ·
When I've rigged a trip line I run it from the back of the anchor, up to a floating buoy. On the buoy I hang a block. The trip line runs through the block, with a weight on the other side. This keeps the buoy always above the anchor, and doesn't allow it to wonder or sink.

I dislike the use of anchor buoys in general b/c it hogs anchor space and creates the risk of someone accidentally pulling up your anchor. I only use this system in the rare occasions when I have serious concern there is a significant risk of anchor fouling.

I've heard of some folks running a trip line along the rode back to the boat. I've never tried this method. I fear it could lead to rode entanglement, but I might give it a try.

#4 ·
Years of anchoring over old logging cables and stuff. For anchors like CQR's where all the business is at one end of a shaft. Pull fouled hook taut. Drop a short loop (shackled)of chain on a retrival line. Chain loop falls over the shank. Slack anchor line loose and take up slack on retriever which should pull on the upset hooky end of shank .Sometimes getting to windward of fouled anchor before hauling on the retriever can help if weather permits.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Where do you attach the tripping line to the anchor? (Yes, I'm smarter than this. I've tested different locations.)

I have use the "tripping eye" location on certain anchors and it still hauls the cable or log up with it. Other anchors come with smarter locations. Some, you better add your own, cus' what is supplied just don't work.

-----

There is only one place where I have learned to use a tripping line. It is at the mouth of a wetland area where I like to kayak, and the tide brings logs and tree limbs by. There is a lot of tide and a lot of junk in the water in the spring, and I foul ~ 1 per 3-4 visits in that season. No big deal. But that is the only place. It is desolate then, so the float and space are non-issues. Anywhere else, or even there in summer, never.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.