Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007

lharmon is on a distinguished road
I use my stern line and a fender. I put the boat in reverse and pivot the bow out using the stern line and a fender to protect the aft part of the boat by the stern. A big fender. Once the bow is out, all I do is put it in slow forward and pull away. Works well for me. I have better control in forward and can cut hard once my stern has a bit of seperation. I just leave the stern line looped around a dock cleat and do this singlehandedly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2007

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Another Idea

My boat pulls substantially to port when in reverse. If it were me, I would park to starboard along the dock, free all the lines and rev up in reverse pulling the boat to port (into the wind). That would work for me.

Moe
Old 02-21-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I plan to try both the bow line and stern line techniques and see which works better. In the case that I had in mind, there was a slip directly behind me, so there was very little room for the boat to go in reverse, On the other hand, with a stern line holding me in place I wouldn't need much room. Using the stern line seems much more intuitive. I've done it before, but the 15 kt wind holding me to the dock was a bear! As soon as I would get the bow a little off the dock, I was pushed back against it before I could get any steerage.

Thanks for all the great, well thought-out suggestions.
Old 02-22-2007

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
my slip (30') is at the end of the fairway, not an L shape, but with a full length T-Dock on the side farthest from shore (on the Occoquan River, nr. the Potomac). I have a very hard time getting out with 15 kts on the port beam (the river side) pushing me towards the slip next to me... it's a bit easier with the wind on the starboard side pushing me into the T-Dock because I have 3 fenders plus a dock wheel on the forward corner of the dock, so I can either walk myself (Pearson 26) forward a few feet to be sure I'm clear of the pilings and into the fairway, or use the dock wheel to pivot around/slide along. I have to exit, turn 90 degrees left right away, then do another 90 degree left when I clear the dock to head downriver.

But once it's up around 15 kts, if the winds abeam on either side, getting out or in singlehanded is a real challenge. That's when I really appreciate my wife, who can handle the forward spring or bow line and make it a pretty easy maneuver.

best,
Jon