Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
CD, SD- I think you both did a great job with the deconstruction of events. (Up until the bit about CD's gas issues!) I think one thing still needs mentioning. It is extreamly rare for a single event/accident/problem to lead to a catastophic failure. Weather you are talking about shipwrecks, plane crashes, etc... these things typically happen as a result of a chain of events that go wrong and culminate in disaster. It is important when we are in these types of situations that we try to recoginze when things are starting to unravel and take steps to break the chain before the bottom drops out. (or rises up, in this case.)
Old 03-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, I agree... generally a disaster is a series of minor events happening in quick succession that lead to total disaster rather than just one catastrophic thing...

Also, by circumventing some of the little things that can go wrong... like checking the cotter pins on your rigging once a week or so... you can often stave off the big disaster happening... the mast falling down and holing the boat and sinking her... John Vigor's Black Box theory of seamanship is an excellent one... and one I believe in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hey T,

Thank you and quite true about the series of events. I will put it one further so people are not scared off: Everyone screws up (hell, me more than most). I got the chance to learn from my mistakes without it taking my boat. They did not. Unfortunate and unfair, but as was said, the sea is unforgiving. You cannot go to sea without screwing up. No amount of books or classes will fix that. They can only get you prepared - then it is the school of hard knocks. Luck is involved and screwing up is human and part of the learning process.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-08-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
CD- Hear, hear, absolutely. We all screw-up, and sometimes luck or a guardian angle saves us. The only thing I think they could or should have changed was to maybe realize there was a chain of events stacking-up against them and cut their losses a little sooner. Not always the easiest thing when it is happening to you, but we should all be on the lookout.
Old 03-08-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Wow. All credit to Skip and Lydia. They certainly have the right attitude. It's an expensive lesson, but they seem to be having more fun sailing a crippled boat back to a fixit yard for a couple of months of fibreglassing and sanding than they did when everything was 100%.

That probably bodes well for their future as sailors. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-08-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
- WHAT IS YOUR THRESHOLD! You need to know
I don't know were mine is. all Ive ever done is work on boats. and I've been in really rough seas several times 25 ft maybe 30+, 40 to fifty on the rigs Ive worked on. I don't know if I would be here today. Wave height and fish size seem to go hand and hand with a lot of people.
I have now doubt that Mr. gainer saw 40+ waves. but outside of being in a bad north easter in the north Atlantic or a hurricane or a north wester in the pacific north west most people probably wont see waves 40 feet tall . I have some good slide photos Of taking a 152 ft mini cruise ship from Oakland to Seattle, One of the worst trips I was ever on, of a bulk carrier with his bow coming out of the top of a wave while He steamed past us. that boat had bilge keels and was really cranky. Whip lash was the biggest problem We had a new deckhand on that trip that started puking before we got under the golden gate and was down for the in-tier 5 days it took us to get up to Seattle. You couldn't have bribed him out of bed with a million dollars.
When we got there and tried to drop anchor we couldn't get the anchors out of the hawes pipes we had to go over on a stage and beat them out with sledge hammers. and we were missing a few pieces of steele reinforcing on some window covers. all in all it sucked very much bad. so bad at one point off Eureka Cal. I made one of thos 120 dollar phone calls to tell the GF I was going to be a couple days late getting home.
Cd I'm with you If I ever see fifty ft Im going to need clean shorts
one thing I noticed about Skips post was right off he put the blame on decisions that were made way before the grounding.
I think that speaks well of him.
Sorry for the Ramble
Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 03-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Soulsearcher,

Never been in seas that big. I will tell you that I have been anchored off the ICW (in a no wake zone) when sport fishers come whizing right beside you on a half plane! It will take you out of the bunk!!!! Does that count!????? (Smile)

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD- That's where you need the laser guided surface-to-surface missles... Them and PWCs...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-08-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Thats way worse because Its A.. hole produced and completely rude. and it catches you off guard. They do that in the pass here all the time. If your in that big a hurry to get into the gulf you need to get your sorry Arse out of bed earlier in the mornig. big bucks and no brains

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 03-08-2007
Telstar 28

BTW, a video camera is always useful when they go by... they are liable for damage caused by their wake, especially in a no wake zone...and a video of them going by with a huge wake is a good way to get the local water police to do something about it....

Telstar 28
New England