Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
sailingdog,
I like that idea and will give it a try. Luckily for me the starboard tank had the capacity to handle it but it was very close.
Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help tom. What we did is we drilled a small hole in the each valve handle and then made a rod that was long enough to reach the distance with two holes in it. Put a screw into each hole and through the ones in the valve handles... and it was a very visible reminder to turn both... since you really couldn't complete the turn without turning both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2007

captainchetco is on a distinguished road
Every honest pleasure boater I know has run out of fuel for one reason or another. I've done it twice, 19 years apart. second time was last October.
Old 04-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CaptainChetCo-

This was a professional delivery captain on a delivery of a boat... not exactly what I would consider a pleasure boater...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-03-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I can proudly say that during ownership of 5 boats within 26 years, never have I run out of fuel. That is, unless an outboard powered dinghy counts . . . which resulted in a LONG row back to the boat.

Now I've probably gone and cursed myself for this season.
Old 04-03-2007
Telstar 28

TB-

I'll have to ask SeaTow and Tow BoatUS to keep an eye out for a stranded Nauticat 33... with a very embarrassed looking skipper...

Fortunately for me, dinghy fuel is boat fuel, and vice versa... And I could probably use my boat's outboard on a dinghy.. if the dink were big enough.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I used my dinghy's outboard on the boat once, when I had a cooling issue on the inboard engine. I lashed my Zodiac RIB with a 9.9 Honda on the starboard "hip" and was able to motor about seven NM into the harbour, although the tendency to curve to port (I had to offset the outboard tiller a touch) plus the extra beam made docking a little tricky.

The outboard was definitely overloaded by this, however, and got quite hot. I didn't actually sit in the outboard while it was doing "tug duty", but got my wife to steer while I sat on the rail, ready to kill the throttle or to vary the speed. It was dead calm at the time, which is why I didn't just sail in.

So while it wasn't a fuel problem per se, it showed me the utility of having enough outboard power to get the boat moving. We were able to make 4 knots under the RIB/outboard power, which was pretty decent, considering the boat itself is 10,000 lbs.
Old 04-07-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Gasoline Stowage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle
OK, so maybe this is naive of me and just a dumb question, (but I am kind of a newbie)....for just day sailing what would be wrong about bringing a couple gallons of fuel in a 'gas can' stowed securely below or in a lazerette (as long as the temps weren't too high?

You should not stow or carry an explosive fuel below deck or in any confined storage area aboard a vessel that is not vented out and away. A gasoline leak, vapor or liquid, from that container will allow explosive gas to accumulate in the lowest part of the interior of the vessel, as gasoline vapor is heavier then air which could create an explosive condition with any ignition source, a 12 volt bilge pump switch is an excellent source for ignition, as it is about as low as one can get in the bilge. Traveling jerry cans latched on a sailboat deck are an eyesore and a danger as well; spillage and venting problems with the containers just to name a couple issues. I normally fit the small plastic gas tank to the bottom of the dink and tow it behind. If the dink must come aboard, the auxillary tank gets stowed and attached to the stern railing, but never, ever inside of a locker, or inside the vessel.