SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is the name of that knot...?

6K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  firehoser75 
#1 ·
Dear List,

Does anyone know what is the name of the knot that gets tied at "12 o'clock" of a wheel to indicate that the rudder is aligned with center keel?

I would appreciate a web link (if available) on how to do that knot on a steering wheel...

Best,

V.

#11 ·
I would recommend the three stranded bastard turk's head. It is the easiest to tie, although you cannot expand it into coachwhipping like you can a running turk's head. Ashley has decent directions. btw, if you do not have the Ashley Book of Knots, you are surely missing out. It has been re-issued, after a long time out of print, and will guide you in everything from a bowline to a bow tie, or securing a packload on a burro. It's "the" book and belongs on every saailor's book shelf. It is a great antidote to cold winter nights, when the prospect of sailing seems but a dim memory.

#15 ·
It is a Turk's head, neither a knot or a hitch. It is more akin to a lashing, a permanent lashing.
The reason I know... I have made hundreds of them while I was in the Navy.
They were originally used to hold spares and masts together when they had developed a crack or a check. Been around for centuries. The lashings not me. :)

#17 ·
The turk's head, originally tied by Vasco de Gama on one of his voyages.
(stand by now, for ringing endorsement of turk's head and the advise to never, ever, use tape-from you know who!)

#23 · (Edited)
equitiman said:
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread...but does anyone know a really decorative knot I can use to tie-shut a sack???

Thanks
Bob
Figure eight follow through on a bight? Or just the plain figure eight follow through.

Whats in the sack? Because the "full of C@$P" thread is over in the off topic thread. Hehe.
Depends on what you want to achieve. Heres a link to start, and it even has the Turks head!
Decorative Knots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.