Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
USPS Courses--Issues

Ahoy me matey''s , me thinking ye lost track of the original pont. The teaching must keep up with the times. Being the most available to the widest range of people the obvious lack of technology does not bode well for long term growth. D/R is in-valuable, GPS and modern computer related subjects must be addressed. Sextant ,celestrial if not already is fast becomming an academic oddity. Wooden boats.... don''t get me started Big Red 56 the Pirate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
USPS Courses--Issues

One appology per day is ENUF!
When we visit you in person this month you can see for yourself how our boat has been
kept up with the times.If you would rather not wait.Look up the yesterday pic'' under Dancy8888 on th CWBB.
Old 02-03-2002

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
USPS Courses--Issues

USPS offers pretty much the basic material that a sailor needs in order to get from point A to point B. This should be the starting point however and form the basis for a truly rewarding sailing experience. I have taken some of their courses as refreshers and founf that the quality of instructors, dedication and wealth of experience is difficult to find any where else. Their "Make Shore, Make Sure" is a wonderful introductory program to boating--particularly for parents and children. Their navigation texts on piloting, dead recokning and celestial navigation are well written and easy to understand. As one responder stated GPS is mostly intuitive and with any computer experience one can get very familiar with any of the modern units very quickly. I have all the modern electronic devices aboard my vessel but when offshore (and some times just as an abundance of caution ie. anticipated fog}I will run a DR track, a Loran Position track and a GPS track. Its fun to see how close you can come and how accurate the electronics are when compared to each other'' For extra measure I sometimes throw in a noon position, just so the skills don''t get too rusty. PS--I am not a member of the Power Squardon.
Old 02-18-2002

decatur is on a distinguished road
USPS Courses--Issues

Have been reading these posts with some interest. Many years ago, more than I care to state, I took a USPS intro course. It was ok. The material and curriculum was fine, however, I found the instructors to be condescending and at times pedantic. Now that said, I''m sure that was an anomaly.

Currently, and with no relevance to my experience with the USPS, I am in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The courses there are excellent but the same bureaucratic resistance to change exists. Nonetheless, the courses the CGAUX has relies heavily on dead reckoning and keeping updated plots, in fact their recommendation is to record DR plots every 30 minutes.

Guess I don''t have anything really important to impart just passing on my thoughts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.