Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Not to discredit Donna in any way...she has sailed more than i ever will, but she wasn't any more prepared than Ken when she left. Infact, i think she had less sailing experience than he did...according to her website. Both Donna and Pat Henry, who circumnavigated in a sc31 said the thing to do is to just go. I have also heard the same thing from many other cruisers! Ken's biggest problem was the fact that he had cut the Bilge Keels off of his boat. He was told that this would not be a problem, or affect stability, but that is not true! He was sailing a crippled boat from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SC31...that is just wrong. She had extensive short trips to shake down and refit her boat after problems arose and sailed up to Newport from the Caribe as well as preparation o her first ocean crossing. She didn't have a lifetime of sailing...but was completely familiar with her boat and tested her own skills in discrete steps which Barnes did not do.

Donna Lange the Musician, the Sailor
Old 04-19-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
In July of 2005, I knew that Donna and her boat were berthed at my marina in Porstmouth, RI - where they hauled her out for repairs. Since we were away sailing to our southern coastal islands during that time, I didn't get a chance to meet her.

I was surprised to find this photo on her web site though. True Blue's empty slip is seen directly across from her boat:

Old 04-19-2007
~

Mickster is on a distinguished road
I remember reading this ladies journal when she had problems off of the Irish coast and landed in Baltimore (Ireland) or some such.

Good Luck to her.
Old 04-19-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

She made it to bermuda by the way. safe and sound for a bit.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 04-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
SC31...that is just wrong. She had extensive short trips to shake down and refit her boat after problems arose and sailed up to Newport from the Caribe as well as preparation o her first ocean crossing. She didn't have a lifetime of sailing...but was completely familiar with her boat and tested her own skills in discrete steps which Barnes did not do.
Well said Cam. I would add that she seems to have a much better idea of what her boat's limitations were, and I bet she's far more inventive if it came to making temporary jury-rig repairs than Ken was... Also, I don't believe that Donna was ever trying to substitute technology for skills, knowledge and preparation.

She also seems to be a far more resilient and resourceful sailor than KB was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2007

Cam, I think you might want to read her story again. She set off in a partially unseaworthy boat w/o any other sailing experience, except for a tall ship. Ken Barnes had been sailing for years prior to leaving! I don't see how sailing to South America for a first voyage is a discrete trip? If you just go read both of their stories you will see i am right. Ken's boat was unseaworthy as well...someone told him it was okay to cut off the bilge keels!!!!!! That was the main issue here that cannot be overlooked. If he had not removed them his boat would have been much more stable!!!! I think you just have issues with Ken I bet if KB had finished his trip like Donna, you guys would be writing about how cool HE is!!!
Old 04-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SC31...
She set off in a partially unseaworthy boat w/o any other sailing experience, except for a tall ship. Ken Barnes had been sailing for years prior to leaving! I don't see how sailing to South America for a first voyage is a discrete trip?
Yes...she worked as a cook on a tall ship and at least had been ocean sailing on it. Ken had years of sailing experience but ZERO on the ocean. She bought her "particularly unseaworthy" boat in 2000 and worked on it 18 months to make it seaworthy. She then set sail FROM THE BVI'S to south america and Trinidad. Look at the island chain from the BVI's to South America (Venezuela and Trinidad). There is no need to EVER make a passage of more than 24 hours and there is generally land within 12 hours from anywhere. THAT is what I would call a DISCRETE trip to test her boat. She found lots more problems and decided the boat needed a complete refit. After that the went offshore with the wind at her back from the BVI's to Newport...lost her SSB and prop but made it thorugh 2 gales and into Naragannsett under sail. A nice blue-water second step that preapared her to cross an ocean.
Donna has not been perfect in her judgement but she did approach her journey in a series of discrete steps and was well tested both at the equipment and the personal level before she set out on her circumnavigation.
I think you just have issues with Ken...
Your right! and I would have issues with Donna if she had conducted herself in a similar manner...but she didn't. What distinguishes her in my book is not just the preparation but her fighting spirit in contrast to Ken's passivity when faced with adversity.
you guys would be writing about how cool HE is!!!
Not me...I put him in he same class as the Bumfuzzlers. They were just more lucky than he...but I don't think they are cool either. I do give them good marks for a positive attitude and a spirit of adventure and a willingness to carry on in adversity.

Ken's boat was unseaworthy as well...someone told him it was okay to cut off the bilge keels!!!!!!
That someone was ROBERT PERRY who he paid for an analysis of his boat.
There is NO evidence that the bilge PLATES had any impact on the boat AND let it be remembered that the boat was still happily floating along until Ken sank her.
Cam, I think you might want to read her story again..
Au contraire...I think it is YOUR reading comprehension skills that need improvement!

Last edited by camaraderie; 04-28-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2007

Driver is on a distinguished road
Donna Lange in Bristol, RI today at 3:00

True Blue,
Are you at Brewer's Sakonnet? (That's where Inspired Insanity is shown in the pic - aisle F/G). There used to be a Nauticat like yours in G8, but I think it was called "Grace".

BTW, there is a Donna Lange event at the Herreschoff Museum today.

Driver
Old 04-28-2007

Cam, i just noticed your tagline says ex-moderator. You missed being part of the crowd didn't you Man I love to get you guys riled up. Obviously i think Donna is a better sailor...she does have an Southern Cross after all! I don't agree that the bilge keels don't add stability though. My reading comprehension skills are just fine...so far 24 1/2 books for the year...mostly about sailing I have read in several places that the bilge keels DO add stability and balast...just look at a hull design with them. Two large heavy steel plates hanging almost vertically off of the bottom of the hull will inevitably add stability to any boat design. If they are part of the original design, removing them would skew the design #'s and decrease the stability and capsize ratio.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.