Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
That does clarify things Cam. I agree, 800Lbs (or was it 400 total?) of steel below the waterline is obviously going to add a bit of stability. But it's a drop in the bucket compared to the weight further down in the keel. From the reading I've done and my experience with various keelboats, a roll over isn't often a matter of a few hundred pounds of ballast. If a boat weighing tens of thousands of pounds is going to get rolled, it's going to get rolled.
As for KB. Well I think we would all agree that bluewater sailing is partly luck, a little more experience, and most of all the ability to solve problems as they come up. Now, could KB have sealed up his boat and jury rig a way to sail to shore on his own? Yes. Do I blame him for wanting to get the hell out of there before the next low hit him? No.
I think being "prepared" has more to do with your own ability to solve problems. Sure having some miles under your belt is very helpful but some people are just lacking common sense, ingenuity, and the drive to be self sufficiant. I don't think you can criticize KB but you can give Donna her dues.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook