SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Donna Lange Update (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/31558-donna-lange-update.html)

sailingdog 04-18-2007 09:48 PM

Donna Lange Update

According to Donna's website:

Donna is okay!!! She has sailed the crazy seas all day putting her about 50 miles from her Bermuda waypoint. She has contacted Bermuda Operations Authorities with her current coordinates and is setting herself up for some rest. They have suggested that she does not attempt any approach until daylight. So it looks like the timing will work out for a safe morning arrival in Bermuda

Valiente 04-19-2007 12:23 AM

That poor woman. She's got rotten timing, but she's earned her stripes. Glad to hear she and her boat are still in one piece.

sailingfool 04-19-2007 12:46 AM

Who is Donna...

SD,

Yikes, I've missed this story - who is Donna. Can you supply her web url, sounds interesting....
Thanks.

chris_gee 04-19-2007 01:02 AM

Donna Lange the Musician, the Sailor. Essentially she is a mature woman who sailed singlehanded around the world in a Southern Cross 28 to expiate a trauma.
She was about 400 from the finish when she lost her sea anchor and windvane in a bad storm and had to head off to Bermuda.

sailingdog 04-19-2007 07:37 AM

She started from Rhode Island, and is due back there shortly. She was also one of the sailors who survived the storms that Ken Barnes had to get rescued from. Given that her boat was considerably smaller, 28' vs. 44', one has to question how well prepared Ken really was. ;)

In fact, Ken sent her an e-mail, which I thought was hilarious... what a schmuck!

Quote:

Donna,
you are the most experienced person available to help you now.
Just wait it out in Bermuda, you know it will change in your favor.
Love,
Ken Barnes.

T34C 04-19-2007 08:17 AM

What kinda idiot is he....

Never mind we answered that a long time ago.

CBinRI 04-19-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
She started from Rhode Island, and is due back there shortly. She was also one of the sailors who survived the storms that Ken Barnes had to get rescued from. Given that her boat was considerably smaller, 28' vs. 44', one has to question how well prepared Ken really was. ;)

In fact, Ken sent her an e-mail, which I thought was hilarious... what a schmuck!

Dog,

There is a side of me that agrees with your assessment of Barnes, but in the context of him offering her moral support, I wouldn't come down too hard on him.

As to his past issues, sure, as Monday morning QBs we can find a lot of fault, but I can also sympathize with his failures. Sure, he might not have prepared as well as you would have, and maybe he was a little more hungry for attention than you would have been, but with a little better fortune he might have avoided such large-scale embarassment and failure. I'm not advocating the kind of irresponsibilty that he may have shown but I also feel bad for the guy.

Mike244 04-19-2007 09:17 AM

I've been reading Donna's daily logs ever since Ken Barns rolled his boat. She actually turned around to try to help him but she was way too far away and another storm was on it's way.

She's as tough as nails and a true sailor.

Mike

Sialia 04-19-2007 09:19 AM

Well said, CBinRI

T34C 04-19-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBinRI
Dog,

There is a side of me that agrees with your assessment of Barnes, but in the context of him offering her moral support, I wouldn't come down too hard on him.

As to his past issues, sure, as Monday morning QBs we can find a lot of fault, but I can also sympathize with his failures. Sure, he might not have prepared as well as you would have, and maybe he was a little more hungry for attention than you would have been, but with a little better fortune he might have avoided such large-scale embarassment and failure. I'm not advocating the kind of irresponsibilty that he may have shown but I also feel bad for the guy.

So, if he'd just been lucky he might have made it??? I don't want to go back into the KB saga, but he alone is responsible for his own "embarassment and failure" and everything that follows.

I feel bad for anyone that loses a dream, but dreams are realized or lost at the descretion of the dreamer. Donna Lang is realizing hers.