Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
The Dream

I guess after 45 yrs of exp, bad judgement is bad judgement. We had gale warnings and small craft warnings all last week as the tropical storm moved south from Jax to Ft Lauderdale. Inner bouys reading 20 + seas, outer reading30+.

May 14, 2007

'Dream' boat runs aground

Sailor says craft not insured
By M.C. MOEWE
Staff Writer

NEW SMYRNA BEACH -- After spending $60,000 two weeks ago for a sailboat, on Sunday a 65-year-old Ohio man watched as the vessel was dismantled and hauled away from a Volusia County beach.

"My lifelong dream was to own a boat like that," said Gary Grimm of Newport, Ohio, as he stood on New Smyrna Beach just south of Ponce de Leon Inlet where the 41-foot boat had run aground after 9 p.m. Friday.

As dozens of passersby took photos and brought their children to watch, a huge crane lifted the sailboat onto a flatbed truck. One official estimated the salvage effort could cost Grimm more than $10,000.

"I have no idea," Grimm said of what it might cost. "I know I'll have to pay it."He and his 19-year-old grandson were sailing the boat to the Chesapeake Bay from St. Petersburg where they had purchased and refurbished the vessel with a new motor, winch and other accessories.

Because the hull is made of a lightweight concrete, Grimm said he had not yet found an insurance company willing to sell him a policy for the boat. "This will put my retirement off for at least two years," said Grimm, a manager at an Ohio plant that manufactures things like small metal parts for automobiles.

Though officials said the buoys marking Ponce de Leon Inlet are lit with red and green lights, Grimm said he did not see them and thought he was still in deep water when his boat hit sand.

"There was no moon, it was pitch black," Grimm said. "I didn't know I was running aground until I heard a scrunch."

Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn said about five boats have suffered similar fates at Ponce Inlet in the past six years. "I don't know where we rank but it's up there," he said of how dangerous the inlet is. "It definitely requires local knowledge."

Grimm said he and his grandson had encountered "atrocious waves" on Friday.

While Grimm has been sailing for 45 years, most of his time on the water has been spent in the Great Lakes. "The ocean seemed a little easier because the waves are bigger and longer," he said.

Derrick Scheer, Grimm's grandson, said they had left the St. Lucie area about 30 hours before the accident. "I had set the course," said Scheer, adding he believes the waves pushed them off track.

Shortly after they ran aground they called a commercial boat towing business to come get them but the company declined, Grimm said

After a boat of that size is in the breaking surf it's difficult to get out, Petersohn said. "You are just at the ocean's mercy there," he said.

Karen and Jim Atkins of Orlando met Grimm and his grandson while walking the beach Saturday and volunteered to give them transportation and a place to stay. "Anybody that sails can sympathize," Karen Atkins said. "(Grimm) said his wife was worried about him the day he left port."

Grimm said he has 12 children, ages 21 to 39. "I think I have 28 grandchildren," Grimm added after taking a few moments to count. "That's why I wanted a bigger boat. There was never enough room for everyone who wanted to come."

He still owns a 27-foot boat which he had planned to sell to help him pay for his new one, he said.

Now, if he can, he'll sell what's left of his 41-foot boat for a few thousand dollars. "I can salvage some parts," he said.

On Sunday the company hired to haul the boat away began cutting through metal on the boat. "Don't cut my mast," Grimm said mostly to himself as a screeching sound erupted and sparks flew.

He hadn't decided if he was going rename the boat that was dubbed Paws by the previous owners.

"I guess I'd call it Dreambreaker now," Grimm said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hell...SD is gonna jump on this one like a monkey on a banana...

SD ferrocement
Old 05-14-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Hmmmmm.... A cement boat......
Old 05-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What Giu... I see nothing wrong with making a boat outta concrete... Going out and going aground on it... now that's a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
If your in a boat that is essentially made of "ground" seems like they just sorta went home.
Old 05-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I don't think the boat was the issue in this case...
Quote:
"The ocean seemed a little easier because the waves are bigger and longer," he said.
Kinda sums the whole situation up right there...
Old 05-16-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
I know about buoyancy, lead keels and all, but something is not quite right about a boat made from a material that sinks!

PoCA
Old 05-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
PirateofCapeAnn—

Umm... you do know the US Navy and US Coast Guard have a lot of ships made of steel. A lot of boats are made of aluminum too... Most forms of uncored fiberglass are denser than water... so would sink. Finally, most monohulls have a big chuck of concrete, iron, steel or lead attached to them, which definitely would sink without help from the rest of the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-17-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
read an interesting article in cruising world back in 95. guy made a trimaran outta concrete drainage pipe i believe, and used manhole covers as hatches. boat averaged less than 1 knot. left San francisco bay and took 3 days before he was out of visual sight. passage to hawaii took about three months or so, he moored it and end of article.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-17-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Laymans Test...
toss a piece of fiberglass in the water.
toss a chunk of cement in the water.
toss a plank of wood in the water.

which one floats

i wonder if you could make a boat out of lava rock?

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.