Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Giu,
Thanks for your trouble. You sketch has it correct. If I can turn around and come at it the way you suggest it should make life a lot easier, I just need to figure out if turning around is possible (too far down from the open end to back all the way). Didn't understand your comment about coming at it hot?
Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Well if the wind is blowing strong and you are facing the wind, as you reverse and come slightly off the wind it will want to turn the bow...and will cross you in the tight space. So for that, when the wind is strong you will need to reverse at a faster speed to prevent the bow from crossing over...

I can't tell you where I get those photos...my family will get mad....

Hint...do net search for photos on Spanish, French, Portuguese, german, etc...you will see sites that normally those looking in English will not find!!! ehehehe
Old 05-16-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Giu,
Thanks, got it. Some of those photos on Cam's life reminded me of my inlaws. Maybe we're related.
Tom
Old 05-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon
Giu,
Thanks, got it. Some of those photos on Cam's life reminded me of my inlaws. Maybe we're related.
Tom
Well, Cam is coming of the clauset only now...and sent me a lot of photos from his familly album....

If you can't turn at the end of your U try turning somewhere where the U is wider before your slip. I'm used to my boat that pivots around the keel!! How's yours at turning??
Old 05-16-2007

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Spring line

If you really think you might hit another boat with your current arrangemant, see if you can trade docks with someone who goes head in to starboard. If not try a spring line.

I have the same situation. I have a spring line that I make fast to the port winch (amidship cleat would be better) and tie a bowline on the other end. The length of the line is set so that as I come in (with enough speed to overpower the wind) my wife drops the bowline over the first piling on port and the spring stops the boat before the bow reaches the main pier. Just before the line tightens I hit reverse hard to stop forward progress. Then I shift back to forward at idle speed.

With engine in gear and the spring line out on port, the boat sits still while I casually arrange the other lines. If you want to move the stern to port to reach a piling, turn the wheel to starboard. To reach the piling on starboard, turn to port.

You will either want to have fenders positioned where the sides will come to rest against the finger pier or have the fenders (bumpers actually) permanently attached to the pilings

One important detail; you have to put the spring line out on the same side as the finger pier or amidship piling. Otherwise the boat continues to want to motor in circles around the piling you are springing off of.

What ever you do, don't let the intimidation of docking keep you in the marina. My wife gets freaked out sometimes when we meet a challenging docking situation. I tell her that we have insurance for a reason and that is the reason.
Old 05-16-2007
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon
T37Chef,
Thanks. How do you approach your slip in such tight quarters?
tom Shannon
By the grace of god and some luck I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-16-2007

Giu,
Once you enter the U it's the same width all the way down. I turn around the keel also, for me it's just a question of getting to know what speed gives me what turning radius. Perhaps I'll practice on a weekday when no one can see what peril there boats are in.
I don't want to be related to Cam!
Tom
Old 05-16-2007
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
teshannon,

is that new to you boat a Shannon...if so...I'm very jealous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-16-2007

Foxglove,
Not coming close to hitting anyone but when it kicks up thats when I want to be out there. In those cases I need a plan and all the ideas offered so far are a real help. That's why I love this site.
Tom
Old 05-16-2007

T37CHEF,
Not a Shannon, a Tayana 42. Shannon's Shannon sounds good though!
Tom Shannon