Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Still a awesome boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Tom - I've had that same setup at 2 different marinas for the past 10 years. If Giu's suggestion of backing in first doesn't work out for you for whatever reason remember that since you mentioned you have port reverse prop walk (normal right hand turning prop) that also means you have starboard prop walk in forward. Forward walk is less pronounced because of the keel, prop wash on the rudder for more control, etc.... - But - you can use it to make a very sharp 90 degree left turn into your slip. I usually came in slow, waited till the last second, made the hard left turn, and let the engine idle to gain a little bit of starboard prop walk to really square off the turn.
You didn't mention which side you tie up on which can make things easier or harder since to stop the boat reverse is going to throw your stern to the left.
Now with my Left Turning Prop on my Nauticat I changed my procedure to hit reverse as I am making the left turn into my slip so the Right Reverse Prop Walk .... walks my boat right up to my right side tie up.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-16-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
T37CHEF,
Thanks, I love it! Are you ever on the Chesapeake? Am I misusing this thread?
Tom
Old 05-16-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
I assume that you're backing into the slip ..... a boat with a right handed prop will move its stern to port when going astern ... if you give it enough of a 'short high burst' of rpm on the prop.
Especially if the boat has a rub rail ..... bring the boat to the slip on the port side and steer to have it at about a 45 degree angle. Burst a little reverse rpm and hop the stern over to the portside outermost piling, lay the boat onto the piling and stop it dead using either forward or reverse. then with the rudder hard over to starboard giving small bursts of engine rpm will steer the boat back into the slip .... using the outtermost portside piling as the 'pivot point' .... just 'slide' along the piling using either short 'bursts of rpm' to 'steer' (leave the rudder alone). Called 'backing and filling ... and cheating with a piling as a pivot point.

If you dont have a rubrail and have an awgrip job ............. .
Old 05-16-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon
T37CHEF,
Thanks, I love it! Are you ever on the Chesapeake? Am I misusing this thread?
Tom
Yes...Rock Creek these days. See you out there, whats the name of your boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-17-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
T37CHEF,
The name is Orion coming out of the Sassafras. I'll look for you also, thanks.
Tom Shannon
Old 05-18-2007

abbarr is on a distinguished road
keep it simple

Tom,

My boat's 38 feet and I'm in pretty close quarters. I would suggest not complicating things further with extra maneuvering. Each approach will be slightly different depending on wind strength and direction. The idea, as you've already mentioned, is to practice. One way to avoid prop walk is to come in with sufficient headway (changes with conditions) and take it out of gear until you have made your turn and are committed to the slip. If you come in a little too hot, you can always give it a good burst in reverse, of course, this will throw your stern to port, but that should be of no real consequence. Better to come in under enough control that you don't have to rely on a brute force stop tho. Point is, keep it simple. Your boat can do it, you just need practice.

Best of luck.

Alan

-don't believe everything you think.
Old 05-18-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I just changed slips and will be in a similar situation except the prevailing wind will come from the bottom of the "U". I'll have plenty of room to turn the boat around and get way on in reverse at the top of the U. However, unlike Gui's plan of backing past the slip then going in bow to, my idea was to back down to my slip near the bottom of the U, then just turn to back into the slip. Once my boat is making way in reverse, it steers pretty well. Getting it going backwards is the problem but by moving slips I have a much wider fairway for that part of the process.

Anyway, if Tom can back in from the top of the U, why wouldn't docking stern to, be the easiest thing to do? I guess it's boat specific and that a full keel boat like a Tayana just doesn't back well at all?
Old 05-18-2007

Midlifesailor,
Actuall when I came back in yesterday I backed in and it was a lot easier. I came in slower which helpded a lot. After I made my turn I used bursts in reverse to kick the stern over and it seemed to work well. Being at the helm near the pilings let me see better what was going on also and feel more in control. It should make leaving the slip easier also. Thanks all for the help.
Tom Shannon
Old 05-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
So you dock ass first? That is also good. I do that when cruising so the ladies (wife, kids, etc), can enter easily tru the transom . Docking in reverse as you know is very used in Europe, specially in the Med. My only concern is all the people that stop to look inside.

Glad you worked it out.

Last edited by Giulietta; 05-18-2007 at 09:11 AM.