Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Alex

Just hang your picture in the companionway, and they'll only look in once, then run screaming.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I think Giu's line organizing and management skills are in serious need of improvement . . . but then again, what can you expect from a sailor who uses an inflatable kiddie-tube as a Type IV PVD.

Old 05-18-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Look at that shinny new boom...wait is that a hairline crack I see?
Old 05-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
I think Giu's line organizing and management skills are in serious need of improvement . . . but then again, what can you expect from a sailor who uses an inflatable kiddie-tube as a Type IV PVD.
ehehehehe TB you are funny....

That that day was a blast. I had asked Fred to wash the deck, and he did, he also told me he had washed the ropes and had them all nicely organized!!!! In a way I would love...easy to access he said!!

The kiddie tube is my youngest son's private whirl pool when we sail in summer. A way I found to keep the babies happy with piss warm water...

Old 05-18-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
teshannon: I have the same problem only my stern moves to starboard. I solved the problem by getting a different slip, turning to port to dock. I now use the prop torque to line me up.
Old 05-18-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
ianhlnd,
Unfortunately no other slips available, at least not with decent water. I'll just back in from now on. The bad news is the tourists can now see the cheap wine and beer we're drinking!
Tom
Old 05-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu...I see the baby only needs a small blackout mark....just like Dad!!! You must be so proud!!! (G)
Old 05-18-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
hahaha, my 24 footer can be sculled by the tiller alone into just about any space/angle (ya I know, not good for the rudder, bah, so what).

why your boat so big?!? That's your problem! ;P
Old 07-11-2007

cygnussailor is on a distinguished road
Not training wheels!!!

I also use a cradle in my home slip. I have been sailing for over 20 years and don't need "training wheels" but I do believe that your home slip should be the "friendliest" slip you ever come into. I probably come into my home slip 20 times for every time I come into any other slip. I also singlehand my C400 quite frequently and the cradle makes it a no brainer.

Gary
Old 07-11-2007

Milthan is on a distinguished road
I have a similar situation with my slip. If you have port prop walk (stern kicks to port) while in reverse this should allow you to turn the easiest to starboard. Using a combination of a little forward with wheel turned to starbaord, then a little reverse to kick the stern to port you should be able to perform a 240 degree turn to starboard in just about the same space / length of your boat. I would suggest practicing this maneuver in a more open area of your marina practice doing 360 degree turns to starboard on a dime. Then once you feel comfortable you can try this as part of your slip entry. Head past your slip (slowly) then with alternating successions of reverse/forward/reverse etc. perform a 180 turn on the spot past your slip, allowing you to enter the slip in the direction that will be easiest for your boat to go in. (wind will push your bow to starboard helping you complete the turn, and if needed a little reverse prop walk to stern helps you kick the stern out to port for a real nice tight turn).

I've executed this maneuver a number of times. My neighbors usually think I keep forgetting where my slip is. On the way out I sometimes do the same thing in reverse doing a 240 to starboard to get out.

Practice makes perfect.

Good luck.