Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of boaters, and a good percentage of merchant seamen, are not aware of what red over green - white over red or most of the other lighting indicators mean. Radar reflectors, maintaining lookouts and staying out of shipping lanes at night are likely to keep you safe and intact.

Running lights are about the extent of general knowledge. Once things get past that point, you are making a leap of faith in yourself - (that you are remembering the codes accurately), and in the other party - (that they know what all those lights thay have turned on are supposed to indicate to other vessels). I find the latter a somewhat chancy thing in this day of cheap and easy LED's...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Although many may not know the significance of Red over Green, most boats do keep a reference card or text for lights and day shapes on board. I find other peoples ignorance a little hard to swallow as a reason not to use legitimate light schemes! That said, a tricolour at sea and deck running lights inshore seems like the most efficient set up anyhow.
As to whether someone at sea might mistake you for a power driven vessel or not, don't let it be relevant. Lots of room out there, use it.
Old 05-30-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
"Radar reflectors, maintaining lookouts and staying out of shipping lanes at night are likely to keep you safe and intact."

Of course.

Personally I don't care if they think red over green indicates a radio tower, so long as it makes me more visible and increases any margin of error that may exist with others.
Old 05-30-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I don't particulary care for nav light on the mast head.
Open waters........ fine no problem. A mile or so distance and there ok.

In shore, close proximity....... most people are watching the water in front of thier vessel and not looking up 40 feet into the night air.
I have come up on boats in waterways at night with the mast head lights and I see the faint shadow of the hull before I see the lights.

I am not a big fan of masthead nav lights.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-30-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
tjk- That is the advantage of the Red over Green at the masthead. It is used at the same time as your normal nav lights. Giving you the advantage of both options.
Old 05-30-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Cool, I can live with that.
Thanks. (Still don't like the mast head tri)

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-30-2007
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
(Still don't like the mast head tri)
It can create as many, or more, problems then it solves.
Old 05-30-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
If I'm offshore, I use the masthead tricolor, inshore, I use the standard deck level running lights.

Currently at 26 50 09 N 80 03 17 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing to remember, out at sea, in heavy weather, a large ship may not be able to see deck level lights at all. A masthead tricolor will often be easily visible in those conditions. Likewise, in a crowded harbor, deck-level lights will often be more easily seen than mast head lights, since the smaller boats are often not looking up for the masthead lights, which are essentially eye-level to the large ships.

I too use the masthead tricolor when off-shore, away from crowded harbor situations, and use the deck-level lights when I get into congested harbor situations.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
It all depends on what and where the boat will be sailed.

If I were to cross the Altlantic I would have a mast and a deck red/green, plus the white one on the mast.

The night sailing I do, is coastal and short, and mostly sail during the day (hey AFOC Sailaway scew you..I sail at night also...). So why do I need the mast red/ green?? I don't

I have the white required in may mast though..

Like I said, to me each case is a case...don't you agree???

SA you'r an AFOC