Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

View Poll Results: How Much Do You Sail?
Always—and I scull into harbors because I don't even have an auxilliary engine on the boat 5 5.10%
Always—but I have a motor on the boat, but don't know how to use it 1 1.02%
>75% of the time 58 59.18%
50–75% of the time 18 18.37%
25–50% of the time 10 10.20%
0–25% of the time 2 2.04%
Never, I own a powerboat 1 1.02%
Never, I own a MacGregor 1 1.02%
Never, my name is CruisingDad—I just use it to support my barbeque grills and solar panels 1 1.02%
Sails, what are sails? What do you mean this is a sailing website? 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Right now my boat doesn't even have a mast. But overall I'm probably right around 70% or so. Rarely I'm on a schedule, but most of the time I'm just dodging the ferry with no place to be really. I hate the sound of the motor. I aspire to be in the 100% category, used to be back in my days of small lake sailing. I've been eying a sculling oar for my R24...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I put myself down for 75%. I rarely use the motor, just to "get somewhere". So far, since leaving Tampa, I've only spent 2 1/2 days inside on the ICW, so I've been able to mostly sail. I most often run the engine, while sailing, just for charging. Though going in and out of inlets, I generally use the motor.

Currently at 33 21 55 N 79 16 57 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I use my boat for two things:
-day sails lasting 1-5 hours
-overnight trips for 1 or more days.

For a daysail I will use the motor to get out / in the harbor. Otherwise, it's engine off and sals up.

For the overnight trip we are trying to get somewhere. For that I try to make at least 4 kts. If we are going to sail slower than that I will motorsail. Looking back over the past few years it seems that on overnight trips we end up motoring 25 - 50% of the time.

Barry

Old 06-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OOOOOPPPPSSSS

I made a mistake. I meant I sail 75% of the the time AND instead I marked 25% of the time...sorry..never mind...I do not obviously sail only 25% of the time!!
Old 06-10-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross31
Do you think it's a bad sign when someone has siliconed around the INSIDE of the seacock and backing plate .
Nothing wrong with it - most likely it is the sealant (hopefully not silicone, though, but something akin to 5200) that was squeezed from under the backing plate and flange, as it rightfully should be. I leave it around (well, a little ridge anyway) - better that than none at all.

Ah, as for sailing - it takes me at least an hour to motor out from my marina to where the water is open and deep enough to actually sail. Takes at least another hour to get back. Just that alone would amount to 1/3 of a usual daysail. And then, of course, half the time we have no wind at all - but still I'd rather be on the water, even with stinking diesel fumes all around, than sit at home. So - lots and lots of motoring, but hey - that's life.
Old 06-10-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I always try to sail off, and on to, my mooring. Mind you I am not in a crowded marina, although I've got less than a boat length for error before I am aground. I say that I do this because I don't like the motor but the truth is probably different. I single hand mostly and using the motor is not that much less work. Primarily though, there is no other sailing that I do which keeps me as sharp as this procedure. ALL tacks in open water are successfull.(g) Coming on or off the mooring, without running aground, and acheiving success is an immediate pass/fail exam, and immensely satisfying.

I am lucky in that i do not have to motor to get to where I can sail. Let's face it, that putt-putting through a crowded mooring field or channel is tedious, and not what we signed up for. The worst end to any day sailing is to have to fire up the motor to "speed" your way back.

I actually arrived at this point due to an extremely recalcitrant outboard. Before I really went through it, it was in the habit of dieing, without warning, virtually every time I thought I really needed it. A side result of this is that I now always have an anchor cleared whenever preparing to manoeuver in skinny water. The procedure had become, "Putt, putt, putt, sputter,sputter, silence, splash". The "splash" at the end was the onlygood sound out of the lot. I figured, if every use of the motor was going to turn in to an anchoring drill, I could just eliminate using the motor all together, and sail her instead. the practise sailing in tight water made the motoring that much easier once I got the thing running reliably.
Old 06-10-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
But Giu we now have independent witnesses.
Old 06-10-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
But Giu we now have independent witnesses.
No you don't....nothing says they arrived safe!!

Jaws is very happy with the two meals I gave him!!!
Old 06-10-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I put down >75% as I use the diesel only when necessary. I will sail into and out of my berth whenever the wind is accomodating. While I mostly race and day sail now, when I used to cruise a lot with my wife I used to sail off the anchor very early in the morning and have some of my most memorable sails while she was sleeping down below. She is NOT a morning person.

That being said, yesterday I dropped sails and motored in at 6 when the wind went very light in a 25 mile race. When it goes light around here in a high it will not likely fill in for hours. My four 19 year old crew members all had some good looking plans for the evening waiting for them on shore.

Gary
Old 06-10-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the ability to stop the wind, all I have to do is raise the sails, thus I end up having to motorsail way more than Id like to. As soon as there is enough wind to keep the sail full, the engine shuts down!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.