Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Want To Hear A Sad Story

On Sunday I went out for the usual race with my club.
An uneventful day..Little wind..Close sailing and all strategy all day..

We came in third on corrected time which was good for us..We ALL can't be winners..

As we were coming in to dock, one of the crew was at the bow ready to go over to tie us off.
The boat came in very slow and for some unknown reason, he jumped off..
All we heard was a scream..
He was not in view after he left so we did not know what was going on..

He broke his leg below the knee..
A guy who saw it said it was like watching something in slow motion and before he could tell him not to jump, he just went for it.

Ambulance came and he went off to hospital.
He broke the same leg about three years ago and needed pins etc to hold it together for weeks.
Now he is going thru it all again.

There is a lesson there..
NEVER JUMP OFF.

We all probably do it, right?
Well I am here to tell you from his screams, it hurt..LOTS..

So fellas, be aware that bone and concrete are not user friendly.
Ambulances take time to get thru locked gates and security.
Pain killers do not work all the time.

Just thought I would share that with you.
Take care out there and especially when coming in when you are tired.
It took the gloss off the day for a lot of his friends.

Jim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Sucks.

I always tell people not to jump. We have fixed wooden docks, only slightly more forgiving than concrete.

Hope your buddy recovers full use of his leg. Best wishes.
Old 06-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Jim, all the best to your friend...tell him I wish him a fast recovery...

Unfortunately, people don't obey me...I told Tom to jump, but he didn't!!!!
Old 06-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fortunately, at my marina, we usually have enough neighbors on the dock to handle the lines... no jumping necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
That is a very sad story, my legs hurt just from reading it.

Never jump.
and never fend with any body part between the boat and the dock/pilling.

My daughter got lucky three weeks ago docking in a cross wind during a squall. She escaped with bad bruise. I should have turned and gone back out to open water when we did not make it in in time before the storm hit, but everyone wanted to tie up quickly. We survived, not even a scratch....... on the boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 06-18-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2007

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
I work in EMS and unfortunately see the results of bad decisions every day. We are all guilty, some are luckier others though. The world is a dangerous place and we must all try and learn from our mistakes. This story points out that we must be careful. I wish your friend a speedy recovery. Be safe.
David
Old 06-18-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
That is unfortunate, but it's a good lesson to share. It reminds me of a near-miss I witnessed last summer that still gives me shudders.

A teen-sailing program came into the harbor where we were docked, they in an older, heavy mid-40 footer, in nasty weather. They had had a rough day of it in heavy winds and drenching rain. As they approached the pier where they intended to tie up for the night, they discovered that they could not engage reverse. The "skipper", a middle aged counselor, barked an order to two of the teeneagers on deck: "Run to the bow and fend off with your bodies". They ran to the bow, where one teenage girl climbed out into the pulpit and prepared to place herself between the bow and the rapidly approaching pier. The boat was still moving over 4 knots, and the helmsman was aiming straight at the pier, as if to t-bone it. The skipper kept yelling "Fend-Off, Fend-Off", but he did not order the helmsman to turn nor any other evasive action.

We are all loathe to interfere with another skippers docking procedures, but when I realized what was happenning I sprinted down the dock and with the most commanding voice I could muster, shouted to the girl: "MOVE OFF THE BOW NOW!!" and to the helmsman" "TURN YOUR BOAT". The girl pulled herself back through the pulpit just as the bow slammed into a vertical dock piling, cracking it right through, mangling the pulpit, and putting a large crack in the stem and foredeck of the boat. It was so close I almost puked. This mid-40 footer literally bounced back several feet. If that had been my daughter....

After helping them warp their boat in to the dock, I went back to our boat and asked my kids if they had seen what happenned. They had. I told them that if ANYBODY, including the skipper of a boat, ever tells them to fend-off with their bodies or jump ashore, they should refuse. It is the skippers duty to bring a boat in properly so no one needs to get hurt or jump. No part of their body should ever be between the boat and the dock. I think they got the message.
Old 06-18-2007
Water Junkie

LaPlaya is on a distinguished road
Thats incredible. Lucky young lady that you were on the ball. I hope they (or the parents )were not paying for instruction like that.
AL
Old 06-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I also hope you reported that idiot to the people running the sailing program... he is a menace and could have easily gotten that girl killed. A 45' boat is probably ten tons or more, depending on the design—getting a part of your body between that much weight and a relatively unyielding dock or pier is a good way to get crushed or dead.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2007
Farniente

Catalina34 is on a distinguished road
Not long ago...in a far far away Country...

"Jump Tom...Jump...."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.