SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Question from a newbie?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/33822-question-newbie.html)

commando57 06-19-2007 09:09 AM

Question from a newbie??
 
Why do they call it a dodger?

TrueBlue 06-19-2007 09:37 AM

Seems like a fitting name - since most sailors choose to stay beneath one to dodge sea spray, wind, sun and weather's nasty elements . . . although just partially.

Personally though, I much prefer nothing at our aft helm. When things become unbearable, we head for the shelter of our pilothouse. :D

sailingdog 06-19-2007 09:38 AM

My guess is that it allows you to "dodge" the wind and spray.

nolatom 06-19-2007 10:36 AM

Because they used to dodge trolleys in Brooklyn...then they moved to L.A.


Oh, wait, wrong forum ;-)

Giulietta 06-19-2007 11:07 AM

That is an ugly thing the dodger...

Man...really hate my dodger, or dog house, or spray hood Guard Patrão (in Portuguese)....or whatever you call it..

I just call it the "ugly blue crappy thing spoiling the beautifull line of my cabin that my wife made me install so she gets less wind in her face and Fred can lie down and take a nap, and doesn't let me see forward as I wanted, but I remove it when she's not there".

pmoyer 06-19-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom
Because they used to dodge trolleys in Brooklyn...then they moved to L.A.

I grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana. A little known fact, other than to the baseball nuts, is that before they went to Brooklyn, they were the Ft. Wayne Trolley Dodgers....

Cheers,
Phil

Valiente 06-19-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulietta
That is an ugly thing the dodger...

Man...really hate my dodger, or dog house, or spray hood Guard Patrão (in Portuguese)....or whatever you call it..

I just call it the "ugly blue crappy thing spoiling the beautifull line of my cabin that my wife made me install so she gets less wind in her face and Fred can lie down and take a nap, and doesn't let me see forward as I wanted, but I remove it when she's not there".

Oh, come on...it might ruin the line of the boat, but seeing Fred curled up like a cat over the companionway (a snug spot he might not be able to fit next year!) is pretty damned cute. Put in a padeye and Luis can have a Jolly Jumper hung over the steps!

(Just kidding, Alex...I know turning your boat into a creche would not make you a happy skipper...)

By the way, I have a bimini, no dodger, on the old boat and neither on the new...but I'm going to have a bimini installed. Dodgers are for cruisers...not voyagers...

tdw 06-19-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente
Oh, come on...it might ruin the line of the boat, but seeing Fred curled up like a cat over the companionway (a snug spot he might not be able to fit next year!) is pretty damned cute. Put in a padeye and Luis can have a Jolly Jumper hung over the steps!

(Just kidding, Alex...I know turning your boat into a creche would not make you a happy skipper...)

By the way, I have a bimini, no dodger, on the old boat and neither on the new...but I'm going to have a bimini installed. Dodgers are for cruisers...not voyagers...

and wheel houses are for girls !!!

stop pickin' on dodger. never dun nuffink to youse guys. leave him alone. :p

denby 06-19-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulietta
That is an ugly thing the dodger...

Man...really hate my dodger, or dog house, or spray hood Guard Patrão (in Portuguese)....or whatever you call it..

I just call it the "ugly blue crappy thing spoiling the beautifull line of my cabin that my wife made me install so she gets less wind in her face and Fred can lie down and take a nap, and doesn't let me see forward as I wanted, but I remove it when she's not there".

Now we know how wears the pants in Giu's family
Dennis

Valiente 06-19-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw
and wheel houses are for girls !!!

It gives them a place in which to change into something more comfortable, if that what you mean!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012