Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007

daven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If I was to attempt it again, singlehanded, I'd follow the coast down to the tip of the Yucatan. Then head nor'east for Key West. Not a trip I'd care to make singlehanded though. That's why I got crew
I thought of that, planning a trip down to the western caribbean from Galveston, but there doesn't seem to be much info on that part of the coast ( Eastern Mexico from the Texas border to the Yucatan).
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
If memory serves, and you should check a chart. It's pretty shallow though there. We were supposed to go and be a prop in a movie, but the water depths were less then six feet for almost all the coastal areas. This made for very few stopping places. But I'm sure some one has cruised that way before.
Old 06-27-2007

daven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjarch
If memory serves, and you should check a chart. It's pretty shallow though there. We were supposed to go and be a prop in a movie, but the water depths were less then six feet for almost all the coastal areas. This made for very few stopping places. But I'm sure some one has cruised that way before.
I think your right from what I have found out, and the available ports are few and far between.

Dave
Old 07-09-2007

PersevereF28R is on a distinguished road
Not to be a PITA, but I am trying to figure out how a single handing sailboat is supposed to tie off to a platform. Can you spell MOB? Also, even on Galveston Bay we have wind shifts of 180 deg, and that would mean you get to drift into the platform? Crew boats are there to support oilfield operations. Drilling and production operations happen 24/7, although there are some specific operations that are limited to daylight hours. The crew boats cost the oil co's a fortune, and you can bet when they get called into service in the middle of the night, anything tied to them is going to be set adrift.

I do a race from Galveston to Port Aransas - 150 miles down the coast, overnight - each year. The gulf is littered with operating platforms, mostly lit, but not all. Plus some very large gulf shrimpers pulling very long nets, that don't yield to anyone. If you get close, you can bet they will light up your sails with a monster spotlight - and there goes your night vision for the next couple of hours!

Hire a crew. Find someone who needs the ocean miles to keep his captain license valid. That is what most of the delivery captains do here as well. My cat come over from Ft Lauderdal to Galveston Bay last December, with a delivery captain and a crew needing the mileage, plus they made a stop in Tampa Bay to allow a front to pass through.

It's too darn easy to do something stupid like sail into a platform while you are asleep. Don't know what system you have on your boat that would RELIABLY warn you that was about to happen.

Mike