Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jim, West should be able to have them shipped to a local store for pickup, without any shipping charge. And Defender ought to be able to send them UPS or USPS without charging a fortune. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The Weems and Plath course protractor I noted above can be purchased at Amazon for $16.20
Amazon.com: Weems & Plath Protractor 255: Sports & Outdoors
Old 07-13-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If you sign up for the USPS basic boating, or navigation courses, you get one of their proprietary plastic plotting protractors. The course is free, but the protractor and course book are included for a nominal course material's charge. It's perhaps the best value out there.

It's been many years since my wife and I took the course, but I still use my protractor on occasion.
Old 07-13-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
hellosailor,

Yeah, but the time... I'd like to have them NLT mid-next-week. West Marine doesn't even list most, or maybe even any of them on their web site.

cam,

I noticed. But for the other two I'd have to go two other Amazon sellers. Again: The shipping would be a killer.

Good news: Persistence paid off. Found a place on the west side of Michigan that had all three items I wanted in stock. (Got the last Weems Protractor they had, too.) They think they'll even be able to ship today. So I might have 'em by Monday or so.

Oh yeah: And their prices were competitive .

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Jim
Old 07-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Mechanical pencils, eh? How can you guys complicate things any more? I can think of a dozen ways to sharpen a pencil on a boat or ship. I'm at a loss as to how to fix a rusted or salt encrusted mechanical pencil, or fish the leads out of a dark bilge. But hey, it must work for ya.

I lost track of how many charts I'd cleaned up about a month on my second mate's license. The desirability of a soft lead is that it erases easily, if somewhat messily, and does not imprint the chart the way a harder lead does. A harder lead will leave it's imprint, and some lead, on the chart. You have to really press down with the eraser to get down into the imprint the harder lead makes, thus scrubbing away paper. If you are using the same chart for multiple plotting of DR tracks, those imprints can be distracting. Particularly under red light at night.

Val,

I purchased one of the first NC-77's to come out. What a great machine! Calculating Great Circle courses for trans oceanic passages went from a two hour ordeal to a seven minute, if that, breeze. Of course, I still charged the company the two hours OT for laying out the GC as the NC-77 was my own. I did not find it quite as handy for stars, but that's probably just me. Hidebound. I'll bet not many people know that you can use your GPS to calculate compass error. And I don't mean by monitoring CMG on it. Started out using the Tamaya for that as well. Wished I'd thought of that little nugget when I was debating Cam on the relative merits of celestial navigation. (g)

Last edited by sailaway21; 07-14-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sailaway-
"Mechanical pencils, eh? How can you guys complicate things any more? "
I'd argue that you've got it backwards. I've known some mechanical pencils to fail, or apparently fail, when a short lead jammed them. No problem, the ones sold for drafting and other "real" non-cosmetic use almost all have a cleaning needle on the underside of the lead, to clear jams. A sewing needle or straight pin also works.
Never had one rust or wear out, although I think my oldest is only 25-30 years old. But best of all? I can buy a box of disposable mechanicals that use .5mm lead for a buck, and if I add more lead (they're refillable, too) to each one, each one can outlast 5+ Ticonderogas. With no sharpening, no dirt to make, nothing to look for in the bilge, just one "pencil" that keeps writing for years.
If it breaks? I don't need to whip out something sharp or rough to make a new point, I can grab the next one. But, if that's a "complication" for you...obviously you've bought the Pardeys' old boat and still have no engine, right?< VBG >

The NC-77 was a miracle, but a used PalmIII for $25 and some nav software for $20 more becomes much easier to FIND. More versatile, easier to replace or carry a spare, too. John Manson's Pilot Navigator Software - Handheld Software for Pilots & Sailors strongly recommended, he's a very accommodating and responsive author/vendor as well.

Dunno how you can accept the NC-77 if a mechanical pencil is too complicated for your style, though. < VBG >
Old 07-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
hello,
Some things we find that just work, and we seek no further. I've never seen a mechanized pencil on board ship, although I'm sure there are such things on some ships, somewhere. Do you equip your pencil in some type of flotation gear in heavy weather? (vbg)

The reason I like the NC-77 over some other efforts is it' simplicity. Complicating what should be simple things leads to accidents. KISS.

Just one step above the Pardey's. Or below depending on your viewpoint. 2-cycle outboard, used twice per season. Twice too often. (g)
Old 07-14-2007

I've never seen a mechanized pencil on or off a boat. Is that something like mechanized artillery?

OTOH I've seen plenty of mechanical pencils. I've still got some #2's around, but I have no idea where I got them, I certainly haven't BOUGHT any in over 25 years.

Isn't the pink thing on the top of the pencil the PencilPFD?
Old 07-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

No, no, no-that's the working end. (g)
Old 07-29-2007
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=hellosailor;166669]

The NC-77 was a miracle, but a used PalmIII for $25 and some nav software for $20 more becomes much easier to FIND. More versatile, easier to replace or carry a spare, too. John Manson's Pilot Navigator Software - Handheld Software for Pilots & Sailors strongly recommended, he's a very accommodating and responsive author/vendor as well.

QUOTE]

Daauummmmm!

Thats nice!!!!

My old Palm IIIe may get used again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.