Magnetic Variation - Page 6 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 55 Old 07-21-2007

sailaway21 said,
“The only time we can sail a "magnetic" course is when deviation is zero. Otherwise, we have no instrument that actually tells us our "magnetic" course,”

Does a fluxgate compass indicate magnetic north or is it also affected by deviation?
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 Old 07-21-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Now there you've got me Robert, because I am not familiar with the fluxgate compass and it's operation. What little knowledge I have of it would indicate that it would be effected by deviation but less than the standard compass as the fluxgate generates it's own magnetic field. I await others corrections, clarifications, or just plain "phooey" on the matter.

Dog,
No digital camera, as yet. haven't you heard? i'm a conservative, i sail for a hobby. my terrestial form of transportation runs on oats!

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”
Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.

Last edited by sailaway21; 07-21-2007 at 09:14 AM.
post #53 of 55 Old 07-21-2007
moderate?

Sailaway...fluxgates are easily "deviated" by metal objects.
They can be compensated for deviation (and local variation in some cases) by the calibration process which involves sailing in a circle. But NEW metal objects put close the the fluxgate or any magnetic material and make them just as unreliable as a standard compass in similar circumstances.

A great article that is just a little dated on the various compass systems can be found at:
http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...=396&catID=568
post #54 of 55 Old 07-22-2007

Very interesting but it can be somewhat confusing. I find it easiest to simply remember that magnetic north is offset from the true north pole. The offset is the variation. This together with any compass deviation will alter the compass course from the true course. Then any adjustment becomes automatic as I can see why it occurs and what it must be.
post #55 of 55 Old 07-22-2007

Here is the deal. Since the magnetic north pole and the geographical one are not co located we face a situation called magnetic variation. There are lines drawn on a chart that have either easterly or westerly variation. Now the reading on your compass as you see it is your magnetic heading but you need in most cases to apply the variation. West you add and east you subtract to get your magnetic course. For example you want to steer a 090 course and your line takes you through a area of 21West variation you would steer a magnetic heading of 111 degrees. Remember east is least and west is best. Hope that helps.

Jerry

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.