Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help...even if you do have a motor barge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
You mean those toilet flange wax rings? I had never thought of that - great idea.
TB... btw, regarding the echoes... they make something that is called a collision mat, which is already assembled with the lines, and one side is flocked or coated to help it seal against the hull better....but not real useful unless you've practiced deploying it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-18-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
A motor it does have (not unlike most salboats), along with two masts and three sails. But a "barge"?

This from Websters (1918):

Barge (?), n. [OF. barge, F. berge, fr. LL. barca, for barica (not found), prob. fr. L. baris an Egyptian rowboat, fr. Gr. , prob. fr. Egyptian: cf. Coptic bari a boat. Cf. Bark a vessel.]

1. A pleasure boat; a vessel or boat of state, elegantly furnished and decorated.

2. A large, roomy boat for the conveyance of passengers or goods; as, a ship's barge; a charcoal barge.

3. A large boat used by flag officers.

4. A double-decked passenger or freight vessel, towed by a steamboat.

5. A large omnibus used for excursions.

I'll accept definitions 1. & 3.
Old 07-18-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Collision mats; Isn't this what they call pancakes?? LOL.
The Echos only mean that we are on the same page and are in agreement.
But a collison mat is a good thing to carry... Because if you have it, you will never need it. And if you don't? Then Oopsie, swim time.
Old 07-18-2007
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
We keep a tarp on board. It has many uses as shade or as extra cover when it rains. Also great when at anchor during the winter and we need a wind break on one side of the bimini. Seems to me this would work a lot better than a sail to cover a hole. Once the ingress of water is stopped the break out the epoxy and get busy.
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB— I only meant barge with the utmost respect for the s/v TrueBlue... Definition 2 isn't bad, but the examples they use aren't appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
A motor it does have (not unlike most salboats), along with two masts and three sails. But a "barge"?

This from Websters (1918):

Barge (?), n. [OF. barge, F. berge, fr. LL. barca, for barica (not found), prob. fr. L. baris an Egyptian rowboat, fr. Gr. , prob. fr. Egyptian: cf. Coptic bari a boat. Cf. Bark a vessel.]

1. A pleasure boat; a vessel or boat of state, elegantly furnished and decorated.

2. A large, roomy boat for the conveyance of passengers or goods; as, a ship's barge; a charcoal barge.

3. A large boat used by flag officers.

4. A double-decked passenger or freight vessel, towed by a steamboat.

5. A large omnibus used for excursions.

I'll accept definitions 1. & 3.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I find little to disagree with above except for procedures that might be appropriate to one boat or another. I would upon determining that a significant amount of water was entering the boat:
1. Have my spouse call a Pan-Pan on the boat giving our position and situation AND preparing the light up the Epirb and gathering up the ditch bag in preparation for abandoning ship. Making sure life vests are handy.
2. I would start both my engine and generator knowing that I may need them and that batteries could be compromised early. Generator would be used to run my hi speed AC portable pump and engine would be used to keep batteries charged and POSSIBLY to evacuate water through engine water intake hose.
3. Assuming I felt the holing was controllable I would stop the boat to remove additional pressure and stuff whatever I could in to slow down the water ingress.
4. Then I would dive overboard on a tether. with some of this stuff for a temporary repair.
Syntho-Glass Fiberglass Repair Kit

If the hole were too big...the next attempt would be fast cure 5200 smeared on a plywood board and mounted outside the hull and held in place with a sail as noted above until I could get screws into the board and the hull.

Cancel pan-pan or yell mayday based on results!
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

One other thing for the monohull sailors... depending on the location of the hulll changing tacks to raise the damaged area and reduce the amount of water getting in.

The Pan Pan call is a good idea though... let's people get an idea that you might need help... even if you don't end up needing it. However, I wouldn't light off the EPIRB until I determined whether the leak was something that could be dealt with or not.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-19-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Thank you all for the great responses. I actually learned even more from this thread than I thought I was going to. I had never heard of putting a sail under the boat and fastening it to the deck to slow the flow of water, that's a fantastic idea assuming it would work. There were other ideas too that I will keep in my head. You all rock!
Old 08-07-2007
Brussels Seadog

johngmolony is on a distinguished road
React quickly. A one-inch hole 3 feet below the waterline will allow up to 70 gallons a minute to enter your boat. Another stopping method, depending on where the hole is located, is to place a towel around the hole and wedge an upturned bucket tightly over the hole using the towel as a seal. You can try and hold the bucket in place using e.g. a broom handle wedged between the bottom of the uptured bucket and the cabin roof. It must be very tight to be effective.

If using the engine water intake to pump out as suggested by Franklanger, don't forget to put a filter over the intake - there'll be a lot of crap floating around which could be injested and block the impellor. A pair of clean socks, turned inside out together as they would be when you packed your seabag, will fit over most intakes and stay in place nicely. Plus remember that the higher the engine rpm, the faster it will pump, but don't over-rev the engine.
Old 08-07-2007

zephyrflow is on a distinguished road
Hi from zephyrflow
I am from "tire Town". One of you retired tire engineers invent an inflatable injectable ribbed occulsive balloute device to seal the hole. Oh Yeah, for under a hundred bucks.