Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I've been sailing around Manhattan for years to get from my home port on the Hudson River to my favorite cruising grounds in New England. After 911 the Coast Guard presence in the East River, especially around the UN building, was heavy, to say the least. A few years ago they made everyone go around on the Queens side of Roosevelt Island to keep boats away from "sensitive areas".

I just followed directions (they did have machine guns mounted forward in their RIBs) and went around the way I never had before. I must have been in a bit of a fog because my brain failed to register the lift bridge that connects the island to Queens. After all, I had gone (almost!) this route many time before without having to look out for low bridges. I must have been twenty feet from the bridge when I finally noticed the bridge tender frantically waving. I grabbed the wheel and the boat did the quickest pivot I have ever seen. Came within two feet of the lowered bridge with my mast. I waited, with a very red face, for the bridge to go up and the smiles on the spectator's faces to die down.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the Coasties were following you and aiming the .50 cals at you...you'd have a pretty good excuse to be distracted...I don't think that was the case though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
I've been sailing around Manhattan for years to get from my home port on the Hudson River to my favorite cruising grounds in New England. After 911 the Coast Guard presence in the East River, especially around the UN building, was heavy, to say the least. A few years ago they made everyone go around on the Queens side of Roosevelt Island to keep boats away from "sensitive areas".

I just followed directions (they did have machine guns mounted forward in their RIBs) and went around the way I never had before. I must have been in a bit of a fog because my brain failed to register the lift bridge that connects the island to Queens. After all, I had gone (almost!) this route many time before without having to look out for low bridges. I must have been twenty feet from the bridge when I finally noticed the bridge tender frantically waving. I grabbed the wheel and the boat did the quickest pivot I have ever seen. Came within two feet of the lowered bridge with my mast. I waited, with a very red face, for the bridge to go up and the smiles on the spectator's faces to die down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If the Coasties were following you and aiming the .50 cals at you...you'd have a pretty good excuse to be distracted...I don't think that was the case though.
You are very right. It was not the case since they had made me change my course at least a mile back. This thread is about boneheadedness, and this definitely fits into that category.
Old 02-17-2008
Lake Michigan

kenhoneycutt is on a distinguished road
T-boned a moored sailboat

After a days sail, I pulled up to my mooring, cleated the lines looked up and to my horror I was headed straight for the middle of an expensive looking sailboat moored next to me. Ran back, hit the throttle thinking I was in reverse and proceeded to immediately accelerate towards the victim of my stupidity. Luckily the mooring lines slowed me down enough so I just tapped the side of the victim. Of course this was in front of a large group of inebriated power boaters.

Last edited by kenhoneycutt; 02-17-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: wrong smiley face
Old 02-22-2008
Sailing Instructor

SailSolomons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SailSolomons
What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

So Sailing Dog, what is yours? we would all like to know!

Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Probably the time I got a Cape Cod Mercury stuck under the Longfellow bridge on the Charles river... The Longfellow bridge isn't very high, and the only way to get a CCM under it is when the boat is heeled over. We got through the bridge one way just fine... timing is everything. But when we tried to get back, the wind died as we got to a bit more than halfway across the bridge. The boat straightened up quite nicely and the mast made a horrid clunk against the underside of the bridge. Fortunately, a few friends were on sister boat nearby and they helped us get the boat heeled over enough to get out from under the bridge. BTW, the Longfellow bridge is supposed to be one end of the sailing area... and you're not supposed to go past it... for obvious reasons.

The only other thing that would be in contention for most boneheaded move is the time we got chased up Lake Winnepesaukee by a thunder squall one summer day on a Hobie Cat many years ago. The squall only lasted 30 minutes or so... but it took us over four hours to get back to where we had started from.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-01-2008
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Great thread

Top bonehead move. Once dropped my brand new anchor right down to the bottom of the river when I set it on the bow roller and turned away for one moment to get the chain...After some anger, I died laughing at how stupid that was. Tried diving but 20 feet of dark water prevented success. Tried a magnet but no luck. Chocked it up to another iron recycling.

Old 03-05-2008

Andy125 is on a distinguished road
Had to cut an anchor loose in new zealand because i was in 90 feet of water and the windlass broke---note: depth is in METERS
Old 03-05-2008
Telstar 28

Depends on the charts... some are in feet, some in meters and some are still in Fathoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy125 View Post
Had to cut an anchor loose in new zealand because i was in 90 feet of water and the windlass broke---note: depth is in METERS

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-14-2008

l0keman is on a distinguished road
I have a small trailer sailer and I left my GPS/depth finder in my truck. I didn't realize until I felt the keel dragging along the bottom. I ran down cranked it all the way up and by the time I got back I was sitting was stuck. I jumped over to see if I could pull the boat... but sank to meh teets in the silt. I pulled my way out and wrestled with the boat a bit. No luck tried the motor at full reverse, no luck.... a small tin fishing boat tried to help, lol yeah right. Called my marina, who was about 3/4 of a mile away, they didn't want the liability. I called dep of marine resources and the lady was in the state building 200 yards away. So it only took like 4 or 5 hours to get out to me??? It was really windy and hot so I went below and wound up getting very sick. LoL... I never forget my depth finder and never try to brave the shallows anymore.