Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nope... not my martini glasses, and i bet it'd leave a nasty aftertaste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Do you use a miracle cloth to polish the stainless steel martini glass ?, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I don't know if I have told this story before.
If you have already heard it than please disregard.
Not so much a bonehead move, but I thought it was hysterical.

After our initial shake out of the new to us boat, we began our journey from Lake St. Claire, up the St. Claire River, up Huron, through the Straits and down Michigan.
Our first day was spent motoring up the St. Claire River. In itself this was very uneventful. Upon reaching the City of Port Huron, we had anticipated staying at the City Marina which is located up a small; very small river; The Black River. The Black River is some what congested, with slips, restaurants, and small marinas on both sides. With the boats moored on both sides of the river, it made for a fairly tight squeeze for us.

To get to the City Docks, you have to pass under two lift bridges.
We arrived late in the afternoon/early evening. The bridges are opened on demand as requested.

We approach the first bridge, I get out the air horn, and I give one long and one short. As I am giving the last short, the horn looses pressure and fades away into "I got nothing left."

The bridge opens (Thankfully) and we pass through.

Now we are in the small Black River, between the two bridges, with no horn. I try the radio with no luck. I thought possibly the tender would open upon seeing us, again, no such luck. Suddenly I remember that the PO had left us one of those emergency type horns that you manually blow through. I run down to the nav desk and grab it.

I hand this contraption over to my teenage daughter and say, "Samantha, you play the trumpet, you blow on this thing. One long and one short."

My daughter looks at me like I have some sort of defect growing out of my head and says, "I'm not blowing that thing. You do it."

Teenagers, sometimes you just want to kill 'em.
I blow the manual horn. It sounds like a dying cow, one long and one short. The bridge immediately opens and we pass through.

The dying cow horn worked as well as any fancy air horn out there.
I since have gotten the air horn that you can blow up with a small air pump. When it runs out, you simply pump it back up.

The Moral of the story; The Dying Cow horn works in a bind.
awahl likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-07-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I have one of those pump up air horns, it won't hold air anymore.
Old 08-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I have one of those pump up air horns, it won't hold air anymore.

Check to see if it is the bottle. If it is... I believe the cap is a fairly standard soda bottle thread, and should fit many other bottles as well. Look for one in a heavier plastic, like a 1 ltr. bottle.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-07-2007
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Not really sailing, trying to get sailing ....

I was backing out of the slip, looking behind me to make sure no one was coming down the fairway. I turned to look forward just in enough time to realize I had NOT disconnected the shore power, slammed the transmission into forward and gave it full throttle (causing the admiral and my daughters to look at me like I had lost it!), and narrowly missed pulling the shore power stand into the water. Bet I won't make that mistake again!

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 08-07-2007
Telstar 28

I've seen powerboats do this...but this is the first time I've heard of a sailboat attempting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwind View Post
Not really sailing, trying to get sailing ....

I was backing out of the slip, looking behind me to make sure no one was coming down the fairway. I turned to look forward just in enough time to realize I had NOT disconnected the shore power, slammed the transmission into forward and gave it full throttle (causing the admiral and my daughters to look at me like I had lost it!), and narrowly missed pulling the shore power stand into the water. Bet I won't make that mistake again!

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-07-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I've seen powerboats do this...but this is the first time I've heard of a sailboat attempting it.
Well technically, when you have the motor running you are a power boat. So now I make a few IQ points adjustment for when I am under motor power, cause everyone knows when the engine is running you can lose up to 15 IQ points maybe more.
Old 08-07-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, nothing like motoring into your trailer at 2 knots becuase:

A. The little motor has no nuetral or reverse.
B. You have to use said motor to steer because it was too shallow to hang the rudder.
C. Ya got lazy and didn't use the oars intead after getting within ten feet of the trailer.

Gotta say, this little cheaply built boat is tough as nails. I've seen it chew up peices of someones new wood dock, absolutely DESTROY a trailer light, bend the trailer winch mounting post, all without any apparent effect on the boat.

I'm glad I'm getting most of this crap out my system before I go buy a bigger, more expensive and probably more tender boat like that C380.
Old 08-08-2007
vagrant

bobwebster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
There are three kinds of sailors—those who have run aground and admit it; those who have run aground and are lying about it; and those who just sit at the dock, drinking martinis out of their stainless steel martini glasses.
Is it considered running aground if you can get off without outside assistance? How about a hard bounce without a complete stop? I'm just tried to determine whether I'm the single or double digits.
Old 08-08-2007
Telstar 28

IMHO...Yes... and no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwebster View Post
Is it considered running aground if you can get off without outside assistance? How about a hard bounce without a complete stop? I'm just tried to determine whether I'm the single or double digits.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.