Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Yeah, them buoys will sneak up on you.

I was out with the Baltimore Downtown Sailing Center a few years ago on one of the Wednesday open sails (show up, get assigned to a boat, go sailing) and we were out in the Middle Channel on a J/22 having a great time. Our skipper was sitting in the hatchway chatting while we were on a close reach on the starboard tack, and we were all swapping tales.

After sailing along on this tack for five minutes or so, the skipper pauses and asks nobody in particular, "Is anybody looking out ahead?"

The words are still hanging in the air when a giant nun buoy glides by on the port side a few feet away. A BIG buoy, about seven feet tall and five feet wide -- one of the main channel markers.

There's a shocked silence for a few seconds, and then the skipper says "That never happened." If we'd hit that sucker dead on it might have sunk us, or at least brought the mast down -- we were moving.

Needless to say, a good watch was kept for the rest of the sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2009

mintcakekeith is on a distinguished road
sometime in the mid 70 just moved up from dingies and brought my new (to me )25 ft sloop to the club for the ist time, was told I could borrow Xs mooring .2 nights later phone call ,your boats floated away on the tide. unbeknown to me X had shortened his mooring up tight for the winter and my boat just lifted the lot out.furtunately one of the club members rescued her and left her on his mooring.embarasing and cost relaying said mooring. K
Old 01-28-2010

SHays is on a distinguished road
Well, mine was the day I fought headwinds for an hour while looking at the same spot on the bank in a "skinny water" situation. I was too stubborn to start up the kicker, and had not yet read about reefing the mainsail on this site. I have learned sailing from the school of hard knocks and didn't know about the proper time to reef a mainsail, of all things. I was embarrassed to start up the motor, but did it and went to shore in abject defeat. I still don't know if the boat I had at the time would have sailed upwind with a reefed mainsail. I would say that qualifies for this thread don't you think?

Last edited by SHays; 01-28-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintcakekeith View Post
sometime in the mid 70 just moved up from dingies and brought my new (to me )25 ft sloop to the club for the ist time, was told I could borrow Xs mooring .2 nights later phone call ,your boats floated away on the tide. unbeknown to me X had shortened his mooring up tight for the winter and my boat just lifted the lot out.furtunately one of the club members rescued her and left her on his mooring.embarasing and cost relaying said mooring. K
Now that you know about this how could you have determined the mooring was not safe?
Old 02-17-2010

scud is on a distinguished road
I was sailing (40-footer) upwind in the Kornati (Croatia) in 18kn of wind on a cold but nice summerday with 3 friends. For those who don't know the place the Kornati is a group of Islands scattered in the croatian waters and they are so many that they for a sort of inner sea with a nice afternoon breeze. The sea was flat, the boat perfectly trimmed was slicing through the water at top speed in a perfect silence and we were really enjoying the day.

By chance I stuck my head out of the jib and I was shocked to see a small sailboat (maybe a 24/30 footer) just 30 feet ahead of us and exactly on the same course of ours. We were running over her at 8kn.

In the nick of time I reached for the steering wheel just in time to bear way and to see the dread in the eyes of the other boat's poor guy (who had just turned and had seen us stalking him in a perfect quiet). Thanks God he reacted by pointing up and halting his boat so the collision was avoided by a feet or so.

Scud
Old 03-04-2010

mackconsult is on a distinguished road
Chartered an Islander 36 back in 1988/89 up in the san juans. Coming out of protection island for our last day of charter heading to anacortes, boat started to heal over and off the plexi glass hatch went into the water from its location on the cabin top .

In hind site I should have just made a new one for them, but at the time it cost us our $500 deposit .
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar

Old 03-04-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
What? it wasn't hinged? How strange...

Old 03-04-2010

Hinged!?!?!

The Islander 36 has a hatch board that sets in vertically just forward of the cockpit, underneath the horizontal sliding hatch.

It was this hatch board that was on top of the cabin .... that slid off during the healing of the boat.

After this happened I always take the hatch boards and set them safely into a settee.
08 Laser Pro #194171

Some day I will sell everything, buy a 50 ft sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar

Old 03-04-2010

How long do I have to be a junior member .
08 Laser Pro #194171

Old 03-05-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
thanks for the clarification, mack. I was a little confused by that, too.