Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just FYI, those are generally called drop boards... not hatch boards or hatches. Hatches on a sailboat are the big opening hinged ports in the cabin top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Hinged!?!?!

The Islander 36 has a hatch board that sets in vertically just forward of the cockpit, underneath the horizontal sliding hatch.

It was this hatch board that was on top of the cabin .... that slid off during the healing of the boat.

After this happened I always take the hatch boards and set them safely into a settee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-05-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ok, I thought it was a "hatch" not a drop board, hence the confusion. I could see that happening...

Old 03-05-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
How long do I have to be a junior member .
You'll be a "junior member" until you figure out that a plexiglass drop board isn't worth $500!

Monrovia, MD
Old 03-08-2010

Newtosailinglady is on a distinguished road
As a newbie I am really enjoying this thread. Makes my mistakes seem more acceptible-
Old 03-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to sailnet. Making mistakes is a part of the learning process. Hopefully, you only make each mistake once...and avoid the ones that are not survivable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtosailinglady View Post
As a newbie I am really enjoying this thread. Makes my mistakes seem more acceptible-

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-09-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Hopefully, you only make each mistake once...and avoid the ones that are not survivable.
Which are also mistakes you only make once.
Old 03-09-2010
Telstar 28

Yeah, but you don't learn from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Which are also mistakes you only make once.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-09-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Well, having thought about it.....I have to say the biggest single boneheaded thing I ever did as a sailor.......was to marry a woman who hated sailing.

We were married for 22 years. Divorced fifteen years ago, and I am just now finally getting back to something I loved and gave up.

For what it's worth, I also gave up motorcycles for that one. And living in sunny climates.

She died in July.

Old 03-09-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
2Gringos, not sure how to respond to this one. Condolences on her passing? Congrats on the divorce? Double congrats on getting back on the water? What can or should we say about this one?

Old 03-09-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I guess I should have left the fact that she died out of it. Unless it can serve as a caution to others. She was 58. Total liver failure. Cause?

Vodka. pure and simple.

I'll take the congrats, though. My present ( and last!) wife took the ASA cert courses for basic, bareboat charter and catamaran with me in the BVI in Dec.

So I guess I learned from past mistakes. But on the big picture, talking about boneheaded things to do while sailing....

Picking a partner that hates the ocean has to be up there with the best of them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.