Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010

Patient is on a distinguished road
Wow I have a couple of these, most of them harmless and couple that I really regret.

In the harmless but "Doh!" category I think leaving the boathook unsecured on my last Charter in the BVI was a doozy. With just 2 of us on a Bene 39 it made for some Mooring drama. I found myself on the dingy politely asking others to borrow a hook while the GF was doing figure 8s. It was blowing a bit so I decided against the dingy securing assist method and we ended up ok, but wow was that a lot of trouble caused by such a little mistake. I rigged a new boat hook by taking the paddle off an oar and using a couple a coat hanger hooks with duct tape. Worked great!

On the more serious side would be pulling behind a large cat as directed by the dock staff onto about 5 feet of dock. That wasnt so bad, but I actually jumped away from the helm on to the dock to secure a line, leaving no one at the helm. It didn't lead to a huge fiasco, but it really hit me as one of those, "Wow, that could have been really bad" moments and for some reason is the only time I seemed to panic. I realized my error quickly enough when I saw that no one was aboard, the engine was idling and 30+ feet of someone else's boat started to swing out away from the dock. Really not that big of a deal, but it could have been. Others may have a different view, but mine is do not ever leave the helm if that is your job.

Lastly as a kid and filling in as middle man on my dad's etchell for a season I learned the hard way how not to pull in a sheet. I broke 2 fingers in a self tailoring harken. Fist over fist is natural now, but man was that a rough school year. Hah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice to see this thread of mine still going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
I can't imagine we'll ever run out of "bonehead" stories! We're all still sailing, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 10-18-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
Others may have a different view, but mine is do not ever leave the helm if that is your job.
I leave the helm on my 32 ft sloop every time I come back to the marina slip when sailing by myself. Just this weekend I did it again, teaches you how to land softly and have a spring line ready to make fast and stop the boat.

Hey I lost an anchor of the bow-pulpit even after the admiral said we would loose it, and should tie the rode to it. Of coarse she was right.

Skipper E-J
S/V “SAILMATES” 1973 IRWIN 32 CLASSIC
Old 10-21-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Perhaps this thread should be re-named from "Biggest Bonehead Move" to "Most Recent Bonehead Move"

Mine was when we were coming back to the dock a couple of weeks ago. When it is just The Admiral and me, things go smoothly. However, this time, we had guests who thought they could help.

Alas, someone told me we were lined up right when we weren't. Fortunately, the only damage was to my ego.

Here's what we learned:
  1. Even if your guests have sailing experience, don't change your routine. In this case, I should have asked the The Admiral for a visual. Backing up for another approach would have been easy. Second, The Admiral should have handled the lines that she normally looks after.
  2. If guests are blocking your view of the dock, politely ask them to move. Because I use corrective lenses for depth perception, I would have had a ready-made excuse.

But WTH, moments like this are what make sailing fun. You always learn. The Admiral and I don't scream over stuff like this anymore. This was another "Teachable Moment"

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 10-21-2010

DeltaZulu is on a distinguished road
My biggest bonehead move was listening to anything my ex wife had to say about sailboats or sailing. (or anything else, for that matter)
Old 10-21-2010
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
Cast off ALL lines

The Admiral and I had made our first overnight trip from Everett, WA to Langley, WA. It wasn't a very long trip, only 2 hours but it was our first time out of home port. We tied up a bit differently than at our slip in Everett. In the morning I requested the Admiral cast off all lines so we could get underway. She went on the dock threw 3 lines on deck, I slipped the boat in to reverse and we didn't go anywhere! I thought the transmission had stopped working or wasn't engaged or we were stuck on the bottom or something crazy like that. Silly thing was that the skipper decided to tie up the previous night with 4 lines and one still had us tethered to the dock. The worst part was that another early riser was watching us get underway and had to point it out!
Old 10-21-2010

Willis is on a distinguished road
I'll have to break up my bonehead moves by era and boat. I'll start at the beginning with the 14' Hobie turbo that I purchased from my then boss when I was 16. He told me when he sold it to me that the trapeze wires needed to be replaced. But hey, I was 16 and knew everything. Sometime later I was hiked out, flying a hull in the Gulf of Mexico off of Indian Rocks beach. The trapeze wire gave way and my whole upper torso dropped into the water while my legs wrapped around the shroud. I lost my favorite hat and nearly drowned before the boat rounded up.

Lesson learned: never wear your favorite hat sailing! : )
Atlas likes this.
Old 10-21-2010

Willis is on a distinguished road
Another time on the Hobie, I decided to sail out from the beach to the shipping channel going into Tampa Bay. I thought it would be cool to get close to one of the big merchant ships. It was after school, so the sun was already on its way down. I'd gotten pretty far off of the beach, sailing into the setting sun when I turned my head around to look back. There, swimming lazily along right behind me was the biggest shark I have ever seen in person, longer than my 14' boat. Not being a marine biologist, I identified the species as "freaking scary". I executed the most careful jibe I have ever done at that point and sailed back into the beach. Once I turned back, I was unable to see if the shark was still behind me due to the glare on the water. That was probably the most frightening ride back to the beach I ever had. Once I had her beached, I just sat on the tramp shaking for a little while before I could get it together to drop the mast.

Lesson learned: beach cats are meant to be kept close to the beach.

Edit: After reading this post, I felt like I had left out some of the most important details. To be clear about how dumb this was, I was sailing a small boat, single-handed, without running lights, signal equipment/flares, a radio, or having filed a float plan with anybody, offshore into failing light. That's about as boneheaded as it gets. I've often wondered if that big shark wasn't some kind of guardian spirit sent to scare me into doing the right thing.

Last edited by Willis; 10-21-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 10-21-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
"We're gonna need a bigger boat."
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.