Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010

robwilk37 is on a distinguished road
well...using the main halyard tail as anchor rode was pretty stupid. as i drifted back to set the hook the main magically hoisted itself, which got fun real fast in 15 to 20. and it took a bit to figure out what was going on. thought the boat was haunted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010

whosyerbob is on a distinguished road
My dumbest move was to think I could windsurf at the leading edge of Hurricane Charlie of 1986 in the Outer Banks. Can you say catapult?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyerbob View Post
My dumbest move was to think I could windsurf at the leading edge of Hurricane Charlie of 1986 in the Outer Banks. Can you say catapult?
My questions are "Did you start at the Canadian Hole?" and "Did you clear NC12 north of Buxton and make it into the Atlantic?"

Monrovia, MD
Old 12-09-2010
Cruiser-in-training

sbonham is on a distinguished road
what gems! How funny! I thought I was the only bozo out here. NOT!

Okay - I've only read 13 of the 38 (so far) pages of blunders so maybe someone else has done this too... but I fear not. LOL

Here's just one of my humbling experiences....

I was in Huntsville, AL staying at the Holiday Inn on Lake Guntersville. I had "sailed" my Hunter 170 daysailer in the early afternoon with my old high school coach... in very infrequent -very light puffs and a lot of motoring around. Then we derigged and trailered "Joycee" back to the HI parking lot. Went inside to have a couple of beers and then get cleaned up for an evening reunion from 7 to 10PM.

The sky was darkening at 6:15 as I detatched the trailer... The jack wheel was in a small concave depression and turned perpdedicular to the slope to the boat ramp that the Holiday Inn had. Yes.... you know where this is going....

I returned about 11PM and Joycee was NOT in the lot!!!! I had locked the trailer hitch closed but someone had taken her anyway! I jumped from my car and ran around the lot looking about wildly. A guy came running from the bar which overlooked the dock and ramp area. "Are you looking for your sailboat?" he asked smiling... (LOL - go ahead laugh). "Yeah! I AM!" I answered - a bit confused... maybe he saw the someone else take her?

"She's tied up to the dock - but her trailer is still strapped under her!" he hooted. "There was a good bit of wind an hour ago and she made a run for the lake." he explained. "Everybody in the bar (pointing to the rail of people) saw it and we've been waiting to see who left her loose like that!"

The guy (very nicely) helped me get Joycee back around to the ramp and I pulled her back onto the hardtop - and reconnected her to the trailer hitch. I DO now own a wheel chock ring AND will never make THAT mistake again - no promises about some of these others. I am lucky that she didn't solo across the lake or damage another boat.
Old 12-11-2010

kevandraper is on a distinguished road
I was having a stainless steel radar pole made up and the guy was doing the final fitting before welding up. He noticed that one of the welds on my swim platform had broken so he said he would take it off and fix the weld for me when he was welding up the pole base. He out everything in his truck and went off. A few hours later a party of about 20 were on the dock about to board a Gin Palace for an afternoon charter. I decided it was time to clean the exhaust dirt that had built up on the exhaust outlet, so i casully stepped of the stern of the yacht onto the swim platform..............which of course was'nt there. Obviously the entire dock just happened to be looking my way at the time..........there is no way you can climb up onto the dock with dignity when you have voluntarily thrown your self overboard !!!
Old 12-12-2010

jfurlong is on a distinguished road
Nearing the end of the season on Lake Michigan, I went to check on the boat not planning to sail. It was September about a week before haul out, temps in the high 40's. Foul weather gear was already removed from the locker for the winter. I was dressed lightly, jeans, t-shirt and leather jacket. after checking out the boat I gave in to the lure of the brisk winds and decided to take a quick sail. About 2 miles off shore I took a wave over the bow that soaked me through. Froze my ass off.
Old 12-12-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Well my biggest bonehead move is recently i decided to solo on my w27 in a 30mph blow, the bonehead part is trying to raise and lower the sail by myself on the bow of the boat with 5 ft seas and heavy wind. I had a hard time controling the boat and my tillerpilot was not holding on the tiller very well so it got dangerous a few times. Needless to say I wont be doing that again.

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 12-12-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
my EX-wife sold my catalina 30, while I was working at sea.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-12-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
my EX-wife sold my catalina 30, while I was working at sea.
So the bonehead move in this case was you having married her?

Monrovia, MD
Old 12-12-2010
Lou Ann

LouAnn34 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Power cord

Greetings, thanks everyone for sharing. Great stories.

This is a story from a friend of mine who gives sailing lessons in BVI.

The captain and crew had been motoring for about 20 minutes from the dock when one of the crew looked at the stern and remarked to the captain "Should we be towing that yellow line?"

They sailed that afternoon and upon returning to the slip the captain had no problem identifying their slip ... it was the one with the power console at a 90 degree angle.