Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
my EX-wife sold my catalina 30, while I was working at sea.
That sounds like a story I've heard.

One of the guys I work with went to a garage sale, and saw a really good expensive tool (I can't remember what) for very little money. He asks her what is wrong with it, and she says nothing. After some more disbelief from my friend, she says that her husband ran away with some little chippy and asked her to sell his tools and send him the money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
So the bonehead move in this case was you having married her?
Men do foolish things at one time or another. That was one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 12-14-2010
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
That sounds like a story I've heard.

One of the guys I work with went to a garage sale, and saw a really good expensive tool (I can't remember what) for very little money. He asks her what is wrong with it, and she says nothing. After some more disbelief from my friend, she says that her husband ran away with some little chippy and asked her to sell his tools and send him the money.
Me too. Sad though.

A friend of mine went to a yard (divorce) sale and got a canoe, some rifles, some pistols and one of those humongus multi-drawer tool chests (5ft tall) full of Snap-on tools for like 500 bucks.

Don't know if the hubby was out sailing or on Sailnet though.
Old 12-14-2010

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
I pulled my boat down to a nice shaded area to step the mast and get everything rigged up... It took a lot longer than I expected it to take and was dark by the time I was done and ready to move her to a spot in the boat yard.

As I'm driving back over to the paved portion of the marina I hear a loud BANG. I look in the mirror and didn't see anything obvious and pulled forward a little more and then noticed the tree limb.

I tried to drive under a tree with the mast up - WHOOPS

No real damage done and I found that the cap in the top of the mast wasn't as secure and I would have preferred

Wont ever make that mistake again.
Old 12-15-2010
Cruiser-in-training

sbonham is on a distinguished road
Thought of another - that I think is a good one to share (regarding lessons learned).

In Feb. of 2002 I took my two youngest boys - Alex and Sam (ages 9 and 13) to the lake (Clark's Hill/Strom Thurmond reservoir - northwest of Augusta, GA) to sail our new Hobie 18 magnum. The winds were expected to be nearly 20 knots so we were psyched for some fast sailing. And FAST it was!

We flew a hull immediately upon launch and crossed the 4 mile stretch across the lake in minutes - screaming! The guys had huge eyes and were loving it. We sailed for nearly two hours this way (with occasional warmup stops in coves) and then on one broad reach with our starboard hull flying a gust caught us and the tramp went past 45 degrees. Alex lost his grip along the centerline lacing and was sliding off. I was high on the starboard hull - but instinctively reached for him and that weight shift took us verticle and pressed the mast onto the water. The wind pressed against the vinyl coated tramp just like it was a sail and we were all instantly beneath the tramp with the Hobie turned turtle. This took no more than 10 seconds to occur.

Alex had his PFD on and was trapped against the tramp. I grabbed him and pulled him out and he was *already* shivering. The water temp was probably mid 60's. Sam was swimming about but also exclaiming about the cold. Both guys had on jeans, sweatshirts and fleece jackets. I had on a semidry suit. I was okay. The guys were not. They were turning blue and I was feeling awfully stupid for taking them for such risky sailing - in February.

Thankfully there were several other boats out. Within minutes one was alongside and I had the guys get into their cabin while I righted the boat with the help of a tow from another powerboat. The other sailor was great - and kindly took the boys back to our campground where we had dry clothes and sleeping bags. We put the bags in the car and started the heater while we changed clothes!

This COULD have been a major disaster. We were lucky.
Lessons Learned?
Teach your kids how to get out from beneath a capsized boat.
Don't sail with kids in such conditions especially if they are not dressed for the worst case.
If you have a Hobie or any beachcat - get a turtle preventer! I was amazed at how little flotation the mast provided.
Still - I can't blame this on the Hobie design. I didn't even remotely consider what might have happened if we capsized. I was waaaay over-confident that I could round up as needed.
Old 12-17-2010
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
I decided to abort a landing on a yawl rig on my second time using an outboard. Unfortunately, I had some sort of brain fart and forgot that the mizzen mast got in the way of the handle on the outboard in one direction. I throttled up the outboard and turned, but the mast prevented it. This sent me careening towards the boat ramp turning at a rate too slow going forward at a rate too fast. The sound of the outboard hitting the concrete ramp nearly jostled the fillings out of my teeth. And here come the looky-loos.

I tied her up at the dock just to gather my senses. I decided that this was not as big a deal as my adrenal glands had decided because you can easily row this boat. I set it up and realized there wasn't a way to keep the oars in the row locks after a few tries. The wind had completely died otherwise I could have sailed her in with no problem.

I used an oar to stick in the ground and try and get the boat moved that way. After that failed, my arms shaking with fatigue, I promised some looky-loos that I'll get this and I tossed a rope towards a helper. I watched the entire rope, all the way to the end, fly away and land in the water. I hadn't secured one end! Sonofa... Davy got a brand new rope to go with a shear pin that day.

Longest. Recovery. Ever.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 12-17-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2010
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
So LIE. ALL of my scars are from a bar fight in New Orleans. NONE of them are from holding woodworking projects in my hand and then cutting toward myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmaann2 View Post
Nothing cool about having an awesome looking scar that looks like I was in a sword fight ,but when people ask I have to tell them yeah that's where I fell of the dock.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 02-26-2011

pogosmoke is on a distinguished road
Bouys?? Navigation???

So here is mine:

I was in the Air Force single(divorced) about 23 years old. I was stationed in the panhandle of Florida, Fort Walton Beach. I had always wanted to have a sailboat. My father had always talked about building one etc but I knew he was all talk. So I decide Im going to buy one. My only boating exp. was a flatbottom boat in the creeks of north Alabama. Well I find a Hunter 26.5 in Pensacola, which is about 45-50 miles away. I take a couple days of leave get my fellow arimen roomate to go with me who also has no baoting exp. We pay the man $5000 dollars for the boat get on he shows us how to run up the sail etc and I am now a sailboat Capt.

Its March and cold and really windy. We are on the western side of the Pensacola Bay and are heading east. Its about 4pm when we leave the dock. We get in the channel next to the dock try to put the sails up but are so clueless we could ony spin in circles it was truly pathetic. We decide to put the sails down and use the 6hp outboard motor. Now were cooking. About 45 mins to an hour goes by and it gets dark. We decide to try to cross the bay and anchor in the ICW for the night. So here we are trudging across the bay on a cold windy night. I have CCR cranked up on the stereo with a beer in my hand and I feel like Im on top of the world. I can see to my right the outline of the shore between me and the gulf. It is just a narrow strip of sand and pine trees and is nothing but a national forest type land with nothing really on it. Its about 200 yards to my right. All of a sudden my buddy pops his head out of the cabin and says "Did you hear something?" Then BOOM we hit a sandbar. The boat runs up on it real good with the help of the 3ft waves that are coming across the bay. The boat is sitting at almost a 45 degree angle and waves are splashing over the side onto us. We are standing on the edge of the boat holding onto the standing rig for the main. Stuck. Its dark cold and there is no one else on the water and we are 200 yards from the shore.

My buddy cannot swim and is pretty much freaking out. Im trying to calm him down but its not working. Luckily we have a dinghy we are pulling behind us. I tell him to make for the dinghy. He finally gets up the courage and stumbles a few steps and falls face first into the dinghy. I crawl into the cabin grab some flares and climb in with him and we paddle toward shore eventually have to get out and pull the boat in due to the tide and wind. Here we are on an empty shore soaking wet freezing to death and I can see my 2 hour $5000 investment titlted over and rocking in the night. I feel like a total idiot but am glad to be alive at this point. We use the dinghy to make a shelter and used the flares to start a fire. Spent the night huddle up next to each other unde the dinghy freezing. The next day we walk several miles to a rnager station and call SeaTow who charged us $500 to pull it of remarkably unharmed.

They then tell me about navigation bouys and how Im suppossed to stay in between them. Now I really feel stupid. Needless to say we took our sweet time going the reast of the way. To top it off I got worms from the incident as well. All in all it took us three nights to go about 45 miles.
Old 02-26-2011

soyuz is on a distinguished road
i have already posted in this thread but i did another stupid thing so may as well share with your guys as i was moving my boat on the trailer a huge squall came in and my trailer (it must be 2000 pounds) plus my 25 footer boat landed on my foot.....3 fractures and its been over 3 months and i am still limping ..
my god......
Old 02-27-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Mine would have to be launching my daysailer (a Wayfarer) with the drain plugs out, and the self-bailers open. Then I did the same thing the next weekend. Then, once more the third weekend for good luck!

At least I had a hand-pump bailer with me, so I quickly got the water out.