Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
OK - years ago, sailing a 12' skiff on Sydney Harbour, first boat, only been sailing for a month or so and coming up to a container ship that was manouvering towards a dock. Knew we had to give way but left it a bit late to tack. Caught in irons. Fell back onto the original tack and right under the bows of the ship. Only one way out . Hauled in the sheets and sailed that sucker between the ship and it's tug underneath the tow rope. The pilot on the ship certainly added to my vocabulary I can tell you. Very embarassing , very stupid, very lucky to have got away with it.
awahl likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2007

dorourke is on a distinguished road
I thought I had the best one untill TDW.

I was a nwebe when I saw a freighter coming in on the channel, I was close enough to spit on it as it passed. I had a great idea; It was to cross directally to it's stern as soon as it cleared my path. I made up new words as I got swamped from the prop blast. I thought I was a gonner, I guess that's why they invented self bailing cockpits.
Old 08-09-2007

Wannafish is on a distinguished road
That reminds me of my first experience with a freighter (fully loaded at that). My 2 boys, wife and I were about 2 miles out in Lake Huron in our new 19' bayliner. Ok, so it's not a sailboat story...
"Hey kids - let's go look at the freighter..."
Holy Crap! Do those things put out a wake! Sure was a good thing we had the bow cover on because when we fell into the wake the water washed over us and we came up like a bobber. After that the boys named our boat "Bay-Bobber".
OK - I'll shut up now.

Back to sailing stories...
Old 08-10-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
It was in 1975. I was a Sea Scout then, before the mast and just learning the ropes, cruising to Canada aboard the ol’ schooner “Truant”. Well, we got to Saint Johns NB and tied up at the government pier to wait for slack water in Reversing Falls. The rest of the crew decided they were going into town to check out the new movie “Jaws” at the local theater. Well that wasn’t for me so I decided to stand watch aboard.
Some time later, the skipper comes on deck and espies me sitting at the wheel playing my harmonica. Now, Capt. P.T. Harling was not the most pleasant skipper in the North Atlantic, nor was he in any particular good humor at that moment.
“Where in the hell is the rest of the crew?” he growled.
After I informed him of their likely whereabouts, he barked at me to go find out what time we should make through the falls. I threw myself below into the aft cabin and located the tide chart. I looked at the time for the falls for that day and reported the same to him.
“Well, go get them the hell out of the movie house and back here on the double”
“Aye, aye sir!” and off I scrambled! I met the crew coming down the pier and told them all that we needed to go, in a hurry and soon we were all back aboard and getting underway.
Yet, something was bothering me as we motored toward the falls and by the time I figured it out, it was too late for Truant’s motor to pull her out against the current.
Perhaps I’d forgotten to take into account Daylight Savings time or didn’t figure the time zone change into my calculation. Likely both. Either way, as we came around the turn and squared away for the falls, it looked as if we were going over the edge of a cliff!
White Water rafting in an ancient wooden Grand Banks fishing schooner! If you’ve never tried it before, I strongly recommend it! No amusement park ride could ever come close to that adrenalin rush! In fact, the only thing that ever sucked my nads further in was the lashing I got from the skipper afterwards!
Fortunately, we all lived another day, a bit wiser for it all.

PoCA
Old 08-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Poca...good story! Welcome back...where ya been?
Old 08-13-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ah yes, big ships and their perils. My Pops liked to play at running a PT boat in his 23' Glastron, mind you it had 300 HP from twin Mercruiser straight sixes but PT-109, it almost was. One fine day, he was making another torpedo run at a tanker and cut it a bit close on the stern at 30+ knots, only to go airborne over the pit caused by the prop. Nothing quite like looking over the side at the prop lazily turning twenty feet below you as ya sail through the air across a twenty foot hole in the sea. Needles to say, he gave quite a bit more room on subsequent runs. Later that same Summer, he gave up altogether after being tracked by the secondaries on a USN Frigate when he played Torpedo run with them. That was some 25 years ago, today... well, we can all guess that outcome.
othomas3 likes this.
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Making a run in a high-speed boat at a USN Frigate... I'm kind of surprised you father didn't get an honorable mention in the Darwin awards... today, doing something like that pretty much will win you a Darwin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-13-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Poca...good story! Welcome back...where ya been?
Well, I'd like to tell ya that I've been off rapin' 'n a pillijin'! Unfortunately, it’s nothing of the sort. A problem with me flipper has pretty much ended my 30+ year run as a mechanic. So now I’ve been back in school learning computers! Wow! Tell yea what, the brain doesn’t work like it used to!!!

PoCA
Old 08-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
POCA....sorry to hear about the "flipper" but good fer you on the computers.
The good news is that current training puts you ahead of others...the bad nws is that it never stops!! Anyway it'll keep yer brain from rotting!
Good luck with it!
Old 08-14-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Making a run in a high-speed boat at a USN Frigate... I'm kind of surprised you father didn't get an honorable mention in the Darwin awards... today, doing something like that pretty much will win you a Darwin.

Yeah, well, this was in the Gulf back in 1970 or so. Wasn't much in the way of terroist activities in US waters back then.