Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Well done. SM Local. you and I are kindred spirits

I have been unable to spring off a refueling dock (built for tugs/ small ships) and bent the pulpit.

I have been unable to count to 3 [ beacons to clear before tacking] and ran aground on a flling tide with a storm brewing

I have successfully followed another idiot into shallows and ran aground

Bought a yacht and continued to do so -upgrading 3 times- blaming genetics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2011

ilikeraresteak is on a distinguished road
Came about in a swift current near a channel marker and ended up hitting it and putting a nice hole in the hull, thankfully it was well above the waterline
Old 02-26-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Enjoyed the complete thread. Maybe it needs revived. Lessee... I often forget to put the centerboard down on our Hunter 23.5 and then wonder why she won't point, but that doesn't really rate in this thread. Went out sailing over xmas even though it was firkkin cold and there were storms forecast... (just had to)... they didn't say anything about the tornadoes and waterspouts though. Amazing how that little danforth holds in the clay bottom of Pamlico river. Wish we'd had a heater on the boat. The little oil lamp just didn't cut it.
Old 02-27-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

this past summer I was working on my boat in the slip. On the dock behind me is a Sea Scout group preparing to shove off. The leader has everyone huddled up and is explaining the itinerary for their sail. They all take their assigned positions on the boat and the skipper puts the little outboard in reverse and cranks it wide open. They are backing out of their slip with good speed, coming directly toward my stern. That's when the little outboard jumps off the transom and dances around like one of those hand-held electric blenders while still attached to the boat by the fuel line. I didn't realize an outboard would actually run under water for a few seconds, but it did. The boat still has backward momentum and the skipper is in dis-belief about what has happened. Fortunately a couple of the kids thought quick, got a pole and held off against the boat next to me. It was great entertainment watching them figure out how to get the motor back on the boat and then get the boat itself back in the slip. Once everything was secure they had the motor on the dock looking at it.
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-27-2013
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

I like this revived thread.
Last autumn I let one of the marina inhabitants crew Sisu. This was the dumbest thing I have done (so far).

He told me all about his sailing experience, which sounded extensive. I did not listen close enough. The first bit of concern was my hat blowing off and me yelling "hat overboard, turn her around". Which must have sounded like "see the hat". After retrieving my hat, I told him to head her in to the wind so I could unfurl the main, I have a furler for the main and jib. That must have sounded like "turn left", his port and starboard conceptions were not what most of us understand, which meant yelling a lot of lefts and rights. Grabbing the wheel and pointing, along with a loud "that way" got us into the wind.

With the genoa and main in position we were doing well, and actually heading in the direction I wanted us to go. I started trimming the genoa which increased our speed. We also heeled nicely, making sitting on the gunwale comfortable. That freaked him out, so I slowed us down. A friend was gaining on us and hailed us. I waved, crew let go of the wheel and joined me at which point Sisu did what she does well, hard into the wind. I got the wheel before anything serious happened.

The rest of the voyage was just as much fun. It ended with him standing on my cat, twice, and then standing in front of me, blocking my vision, as I was winding in a narrow channel. Fortunately boaters are a friendly group and someone with a very nice powerboat towed us off the sandbar. The finale was falling through the dodger window.

He is not allowed on board anymore.
Old 02-27-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Just finished reading the whole thing. Learned a lot. I have done my share and it would serve no purpose to post them again from a different author.

I have had one experience that is new.

I was young and inexperienced and had my first little fibreglass keel boat. It came with a jib sheet that attached to the sail by a locking "J" hook on a swivel. One day in Summerside harbour Prince Edward Island I set out in strong winds and 4-5ft waves and hoisted jib only. When it filled with wind this swivel snapped and I was flying a large flag off the bow with no time or room to get it down.

I could make a few degrees each side of down wind and could pass by the end of a commercial dock. I grabbed a (long) line and attached it to a cleat and made for the end of this dock. I could see a ladder that I planned to jump to and climb with the line in hand. If I could get up on the dock and make this line fast I could save the boat by walking it arround to the lee side of the dock. If not I would have to watch my boat drift away and into a line of rocks.
Well I made it up the ladder and secured the boat. I use knots to secure sheets now.

The real qualifer for the bonehead move may be that after the boat was secured I realised how well insured it was.
Old 02-27-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I'd have to say my biggest bone-head move was when I storm came up I got nervous about the boat down wind of me so decided to pull anchor and run for cover......I couldn't get the anchor up it was snagged on something and ended up tieing a line to it and cutting it loose (should have pulled in more)....the bouy sank and I lost an anchor and 180' of chain. If I couldn't get the anchor up, the boat would not have dragged.
Old 02-27-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Telling the Mexican guy at the resort in Cozumel (30 years ago) that I knew how to sail a Sunfish. He said "have fun" and off I went, exactly where the boat wanted to go...which was away from the island. By the time I figured out how to make it go where I wanted it to go, I was way overdue. When I finally got back, the Mexican guy had binoculars hanging from his neck. He said he had almost lost sight of me and was about to send someone after me.
Old 02-28-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Perhaps not so much about seamanship - but here is my "chuckle contribution"

Dropped a piece of metal overboard, while in the marina (forget what it was, but that's for a different thread). Oops.

Not to worry, I have a magnet.

Oops, magnet is still in its original plastic container.

Not to worry, open it.

Magnet, thankfully, comes fully equipped with a length of twine.

Grab end of twine and drop magnet overboard.

Oops. The twine was not tied to the magnet.

Not to worry. It wouldn't have done any good: the piece of metal I dropped overboard was made of stainless steel. Duh.
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-28-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I had a really beautiful copper lead line (copper tube filled with lead and bronze bail)...I threw it over board and saw the line untie infront of my eyes (*&^%%$$#@* polypropylene line just doesn't tie worth a damn)

We are taught to learn from our mistakes, it is better if we learn from others...in that sense this thread might actually be helpful.
davidpm likes this.