Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_sf View Post
They've both come...

One has really taken to it. She insisted on... head ...

During a night sail, I told her to blow ...
... so... she's more like the babe of my dreams than merely a catch.
Do you think we can't read between the lines around here?

(Yeah, I know, i know, its a family site, feel free to hit the red button.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Meh.. A nice clean break. Nothin' some scrap and a few rivets won't fix.

Just lucky no-one got brained by the boom as it was going across..
Yep, no brain fluid in the cockpit or on deck after that move! But we did motor back home. Art by Jody if one remembers him, grounded a bit north and west in the same race, still not sure why he was that far west or in that direction.......

new boom for my little boat was all of 600 including shipping from FL to the NW. About as far as one can ship things in the continental US! One of th ebetter crew quotes, Doug who happened to be the now closed local WM mgr, wished he had a source for the replacement boom! dang sales guys!
Old 03-18-2013

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

leaving the dock with the shore power cord still connected...
-JD
Old 03-18-2013
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post
-JD
Yeah, I did that too.

Twice.
Old 03-18-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Tied my first keelboat to pilings instead of the float - with a 15' tide. Luckily I noticed the docklines were bar taut and the boat was beginning to heel before I left - had to cut them away.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-18-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post
-JD
That's one (of many) reasons I have a checklist that I have a crew member read to me as I go through the boat making sure valves and hatches are closed, shore power is disconnected, etc., before we shove off. Too many things to remember on a sailboat, forgetting anyone of which can ruin your day! I laminate the list at a copy store, and keep it with the key to the ignition. Here is a link to a thread I started on the topic if interested:
Pre Trip Checklist
One likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 03-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2013

Avoid the strobe, fix the friggin pump!

Not my BHM, but a someone else's!
I was talking to a couple who are cruising on a beautiful 50 foot sloop. They were motoring about 15 miles offshore at night. He saw a strobe off the bow in the distance and assumed if was a helicopter flying low. Soon, the strobe passed him immediately off Starboard and the boat came to an abrupt halt. The strobe marked a large fish trap which the keel had snagged. The trap's cables also managed to pull the prop shaft loose, causing a flood in the bilge. While the manual bilge pump worked, the auto did not "because it has a filter that is hard to get to and was clogged". His wife frantically operated the manual pump while he found and patched the leak. After a long night spent with the Coast Guard, the boat freed itself and was towed to a yard. The boat had minor damage to the keel and substantial damage to the drive train. After repairs, the voyage continued, and I met the couple about a thousand miles from the incident. I asked the skipper if he had improved access to the Bilge Pump filter. To my amazement, he said that he had not addressed the issue yet. In other words...he continued the voyage without an automatic Bilge pump!
The primary lesson I take away is steer away from any unidentified lights at night. A ten degree deviation probably would have made all the difference in this case. You simply can't trust your eyes at night. Interestingly, this guy is a retired airline pilot. I would assume he would have known that far better than me.
Regarding the bilge pump....Well, I hope that lesson goes without saying.

Last edited by L124C; 04-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

ok, I achieved my first BHM worth reporting in this august company last weekend. Motoring into a creek to anchor up for the night up a narrow, but well marked, channel leading to a boat ramp. Beyond the boat ramp was a campground and a small beach. Near the beach, I saw two buoys in a line perpindicular to the shoreline. These sure looked like 'no wake' buoys to me and, with the beach and all, I just assumed... and proceeded to slowly motor between them.

Turns out the buoys marked the stumps of an old pier - just barely submerged. Somehow, we managed to only hit one of the stumps (there were a lot) and fortunately I had slowed to 1-2 knots. So, she's still afloat, but I have yet to haul her and check the bottom. Plan for that this coming weekend. She's a trailer sailor, so easy to do.

The next morning, the water was down a foot or so, and we could see how lucky we were to only have hit one of the stumps. Sure felt like a bonehead.
Old 04-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Don't be too hard on yourself - it's an easy mistake to make.

Along the edge of our Yarra river is a rock wall (a wave barrier of sorts) behind which is a popular boat ramp, that is exposed at low tide but submerged at high tide and marked only by the occasional white post. It's not uncommon for people in a hurry to take a short-cut across the top rather than go the long way right around the end of it as you're supposed to and I've never known anyone to hit it (at least, if they have, I've not heard about it!)... but it's bound to happen one day.
Old 04-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
Turns out the buoys marked the stumps of an old pier - just barely submerged. Somehow, we managed to only hit one of the stumps (there were a lot) and fortunately I had slowed to 1-2 knots. So, she's still afloat, but I have yet to haul her and check the bottom. Plan for that this coming weekend. She's a trailer sailor, so easy to do.
The next morning, the water was down a foot or so, and we could see how lucky we were to only have hit one of the stumps. Sure felt like a bonehead.
If I don't know what a buoy represents, I avoid it for exactly this reason.
A chart probably would have told you about the stumps, the bottom and the depth, which could have been factors for a overnighter.

Last edited by L124C; 04-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.